Best Bitter.....??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuyG

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

First post on forum (except introduction).

I have just poured my 2nd brew for it's first tasting this evening.... The intention for the recipe was a best bitter.

My first thoughts were wow this is alot darker than i was expecting 😳

After doing some investigating it turns out the recipe i devised called for 50g black malt and I somehow ordered 100g and threw it all in the mash 🤦🏻‍♂️

I'm still very happy with the depth of flavour and how it has turned out despite my mistake!!

Question is do you think that this could still pass as a bitter or is it too dark (my inital thoughts were it is way too dark).

Should I label it as a ruby ale or something of that sort?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Guy

Attachments

• 20230716_182758.jpg
    20230716_182758.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230716_184928.jpg
    20230716_184928.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 0
Labels don't matter when its for yourself.
Be careful using black malt as it can give a bitter acrid taste to some ales and should be used in smaller amounts and preferably the last 10 minutes of the mash to eliminate too much bitterness and just to extract the colour

Labels don't matter when its for yourself.
Be careful using black malt as it can give a bitter acrid taste to some ales and should be used in smaller amounts and preferably the last 10 minutes of the mash to eliminate too much bitterness and just to extract the colour
Thanks Baron... very true, just didn't want to mis-identify when i was offering it up to my friends 😅

I appreciate the heads up with black malt and will certainly take that into account moving forward 👌🏻

Alternatively, you could just say "it's a Bitter that accidentally came out a little to dark from too much Black malt".

"What's Black Malt?"

"Well, it's......"

Everyone learns something.

I have been brewing for 9 ish years - and several months ago I was trying brew an American Amber Ale. Except I didn't add of the malts that make it amber. The water profile was all set for the amber ale, etc, etc,. It was only after it was in the fermenter that I realised. Anyways, dry hopped it and had myself a West Coast IPA. Not my best brew, but certainly not one to chuck down the sink. So always learning! And always worth slowing down and checking the recipe to make sure you've got everything the correct weights , in the right order!

Enjoy your dark ale/black bitter/whatever beer cheers:

Thank you all 🍻

I've gotta say with a bit of time bottle conditioning it has rounded out really nicely and is a very enjoyable pint despite not being quite what I was originally intending... a crystal clear dark ruby ale when lit up but also a bit low on the percieved bitterness... it is almost like a bitter and broadside mix.

I am doing a red IPA on Tuesday and then in a couple weeks I'm going to do a v2 of the Harley Quinn with slightly higher IBUs and swap out the 100g black malt for 50g carafa special and see how that goes.

Latest posts

Back