Hole Size For Mash Tun False Bottom

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aneray

Landlord.
Reaction score
For various reasons including my back once again being absolutely knackered, my brewery build has been on the back boiler for a while now. As the pennies are a little tight at the moment, I decided that I really couldn't afford a nice shiny false bottom so I bought a piece of 4mm glass clear styrene sheet to use as an alternative.

It has been a real pain in the backside getting the size exactly right because the Coleman coolbox I am using is slightly fluted as it goes down towards the bottom.

I am just wondering what size holes you all use in your bottoms.

Cheers Neil

Hallo,

I made a false bottom about 30 years ago and used 4mm as the hole size. These have now worn to between 4 to 5 mm and I have never had anything significant through the bottom when mashing. Obviously, it depends on how many holes as well.

False_bottom.jpg

As you can see from my picture I don't have a great many holes, but certainly enough for to keep the flow through my solar pump.

Hope that this helps.

Brian Spencer.

My false bottom is a ss tray perforated with lots of 2mm holes, still manage to have the odd grain come through at first runnings, but it soon settles

Latest posts

Back