home made Vino Mini jet wine filter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's an interesting one - I'm going to be buying a wine filter at some point soon (maybe!), and it seems to me that the initial filter kit (for a gravity fed one) costs are pretty low, it's the actual filter pads that are the main, and ongoing cost :hmm:

So even making one yourself, is there really any saving, unless you can also source cheap but effective filters??

Or am I totally missing the point? :lol:

Sadly I don't have the engineering capability to make one, and try as I might I can't justify the cost of a ready made machine. I do have the Vinbrite one which works well , but is very slow when doing 25 lt of wine so I have stopped using it. It would be interesting if anyone could come up with off the shelf parts though.

Yeah - good old CJJ Berry made one using an old car screen wash motor - been looking for one of those for ages too. You used to be able to buy them in all the car spares shops too. Maybe one of the solar pumps might do it?
I mad a table of sorts to handle an upturned DJ into the filter but didnt work very well even with gravity.

what i was thinking of was a simple battery powered pump sat 12v dc to drive the liquids through a filtre, as you said the hard part is going to come up with a cheap and relyable source of filter pads /system

what i was going to look at was a filtre stocking i had brought from ebay its a 5 micron material filtre sock for use with bio fuels , any way since 5 micron is perfect for yeast removel it seams if i was to find a form of housing for it then a whole sock cut up would make loads of washable filtres to reuse if i needed to,

i have a foot long piece of copper 28mm pipe and two end caps, the first suggestion was to just stuff the copper tube with the soak and see the next idea was to make an inside tube that the sock wraps around and the wine filtres through it, i will have a play at work next week to see, as for pressure wise, i doubht if ant real force is going to be needed

Back