Homebrew how is it different now?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmy_b

Reaction score
Before setting out on my 1st brewing experience, which is now been in the keg for 3 days now, I did a lot of reading up on the subject. But there is one question that has not been answered. I have heard and read the same passing comment that years ago brewing beer was not every good, references to airing cupboards, and how much better the kits are today.

Can anyone enlighten me what has been the significant change, no one has so far been able to explain, mainly because they haven't been brewers themselves rather it had a reputation.

the problem was as I remember it the cheap one can kits tasted of the "twang" probably something to do with the dehydrating processes used; boiling as opossed to low pressure boiling or evaporation as brewferm claim, the corners cut to turn a profit or the amount of white sugar poured in. Modern kits have less of a taste and 2 can kits can be very good.

Well there are various reasons but some obvious ones:

1) Most kits used to require the addition of a significant amount of table sugar to get the strength up. This leads to a thin and somewhat unpleasant taste. Today there are great 3kg kits that do not require you to add sugar because the sugar is supplied in the form of maltose.

2) The yeast supplied in kits has improved markedly - although it is still probably worth buying something like SafAle S04 and using that.

3) The instructions have improved markedly too - fermenting at too high a temperature (such as in a warm airing cupboard) can lead to off tastes and high ester production.

I would also suggest the power of the internet to also be a major factor. Just being able to read up on homebrew online, find experiences from other people in the world or in the UK can help you a ton. I'm all for reading magazines and books for "pure" information, but still nothing can surprise you than the latest 'trick' on the internet to get the most of this wonderful liquor :D

This pretty much covers what others have said but . . .

If you consider the cheapest kits that you have to add sugar too . .. when you look at the list of ingredients you will often see various other 'adjuncts' which basically mean sugar so you have a kit which contains 1.6Kg of 'extract' of which 40-50% is sugar . . . and then you add another kilo of sugar . . . not going to even resemble beer IMNSHO. . . The three Kilo 'All Malt' kits have made a significant improvement . . . . and the Brupak range of dry kits are excellent.

Production methods - improved no end with the introduction of vacuum evaporators and drying towers for spray malt.

Shelf Life - The better manufacturers have reduce the shelf life of their product which ensures that stocks are rotated more frequently so you end up with fresher extract. . . Fresh extract is the best way of ensuring no THT (That Homebrew Taste). . . The cheaper kits have excessively long shelf lives IMO

Yeast . . . Was pretty dire, up until the end of the 70's it was probably baking yeast . . . now we have access to a wide range of real brewing yeasts (both dried and liquid) adn even the cheap kits come with a brewing yeast . . . Probably :P

Information . . . The internet is a wonderful thing there is a vast amount of information out there, all I had was Dave Line, later Graham Wheeler, and the winemakers of Amateur winemaker. Ok, so today much of that information is conflicting . . some is downright misleading . .or even just plain wrong . . . . even on forums like this you still have the anachronistic brewer that believes their way is the only way to true beer enlightenment.

Instructions - Kit instructions are still totally f**cking dire! which is why we often get new brewers asking if their brew is OK. Manufacturers are not interested in complicating the instructions as that would put people off as home brewing would be perceived as 'too difficult/complex'.

Aleman said:
.... even on forums like this you still have the anachronistic brewer that believes their way is the only way to true beer enlightenment.

Ok ok ok!
I've learnt a lot since joining this Forum, but I'm still not going down the digitally controlled automated shiney route.
SO THERE! :D

cheers for the enlightenment :thumb:

Again these forums have educated no end :clap:

Based on the comments regarding the kits that require sugar added for the fermenting process; I assume these 40pt cheaper kits in the £7 - £10 price range (i.e. like this kit) which require large amounts of sugar added are best avoided.

jimmy the coopers kits at around 10 to 12 pound a go make a pretty decent brew - if bottled and left to condition for around six weeks they are not bad at all. Also as many will tell you the all malt 3kg kits are pretty good.
Then there`s always AG ;)

good luck with you brewing :thumb:

Brewferm are great kits . . . Belgian beers typically have high amounts of sugar anyway, so adding sugar to the kit is well within style . . . . And most of the brewferm kits actually don't make 40 pints . . . I think its normally around 24 pints . . . but still with the 1.5Kg of malt extract. . . . . I would have to check that though its been a long time since I made a brewferm kit

I've learnt a lot since joining this Forum, but I'm still not going down the digitally controlled automated shiney route.
SO THERE!
:lol: ...me thinks you protest too much...you'll be driving a type 90 next :rofl:

Another vote for the Brewferm kits being crackers. IIRC I femented mine in a 10ltr fv, so with 1.5kg cans they've go a better extract to liquor ratio than larger 3kg kits

[quote="Vossy1]
...me thinks you protest too much...you'll be driving a type 90 next

ME! ; PROTEST! ; never let it be said! :shock:

From THBF
I have built a CFC, Mag stir plate and a twin ele 60 ltr boiler (now with "hot" power leads).
I have learnt a lot of info including how to culture and acid wash yeast both from brews and pints from the pub. :thumb:

I think I would get withdrawal symptoms if I didn't get my daily fix of THBF :D

PS What's a type 90, if it's not Steam I aint got a clue :cheers:

:hmm:

300px-Japanese_Type_90_Tank_-_1.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_90

:?:

evanvine said:
Aleman said:
.... even on forums like this you still have the anachronistic brewer that believes their way is the only way to true beer enlightenment.

Ok ok ok!
SO THERE! :D

Keep it simple stupid ;)

Latest posts

Back