Homemade hop filter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave H

Reaction score
I have tried whirlpooling with good results until the last 4 litres need to be transferred and then the sediment starts to be transferred also. A friend pointed me in the direction of a mesh filter and I have made something very similar. Here are some pictures and results from my latest brew day using 100g of hops in total, the wort was clear to the end and very little was left in the pot. A pump is used to recirculate until a filter bed had built up and then transfer to the fermenter is made.

00DA57A2-71A0-4B26-82B6-1EB40BD53F7C.jpeg

4EE19CCD-7384-43A4-A8A4-3B3809124167.jpeg

D7E1500A-7382-412A-BED1-F6AF4BF77007.jpeg

2A2383D2-6BF9-4140-805F-F0CCD4F70B91.jpeg

98ED25AE-2B59-4DCF-8F0E-FEBBD1A47726.jpeg

4F0BEDEA-568D-4CA0-A0B8-CE3859833B61.jpeg

Last edited:
That is super nice. I put all sorts of muck into my fermenter and even though it's pretty ok I'd like to clean up my act a little. Sometimes I have flubby trub that just won't settle and you know it's still packed with booziness but I have to sacrifice it to Ninkasi. Myehh, no biggie, we're still talking 20p a pint.

Nice. Inspired by the one The Electric Brewery sell?
Yours actually looks neater though and seems to work great. Want to share some more build details (parts, cost, etc)? The Electric Brewery one isn't compatible with the Braumeister but from seeing your build it looks like a bit of fettling and it could be adapted.

Yes it is inspired by the “hop stopper” that the Electric Brewery sell.

The Mesh is 0.497mm aperture and 0.25mm diameter. I have made some simple tooling to enable a neat circle to be flanged on the top and bottom halves which were then clinched and spot welded together and form an outer ring that holds the filter flat, this can be removed to clean any detritus that gets in there (I’m not sure this is neaded). The join in the top half is also spot welded to develop a couple of cones. There is a ring of perforated sheet in the centre to support the weight of hops and also stop it collapsing if the difference in pressure across the mesh rises. I used a washer spot welded to the mesh to hold the grommet for the extraction tube. All stainless construction. The mesh is from the online auction site and was about £55.00 for a metre square.

That is super nice. I put all sorts of muck into my fermenter and even though it's pretty ok I'd like to clean up my act a little. Sometimes I have flubby trub that just won't settle and you know it's still packed with booziness but I have to sacrifice it to Ninkasi. Myehh, no biggie, we're still talking 20p a pint.

One example of my inherent mean-ness is that I have taken to adding ~ a half litre of boiled, cooled (a bit) water at the fag end of transferring wort from the GF (other systems are available) to the FV. May not achieve much, but it does seem to calm that awful feeling of wasting.

Latest posts

Back