Hop combinations that don't work

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simonh82

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm interested to know whether people think there are combinations of hops that really don't work in a beer.

I'm not talking about the balance of hops vs malt but particularly combinations of hop varieties. I know this might be hard to separate from the context to the beer as a whole but try if you can. If you do have particular combinations that don't work, what was it about them that put you off?

I'm new to brewing and plan on trying out as many combinations of various ingredients as I can, hopefully in some sort of systematic way. You hear about so many different hop combinations that people love but I'd like to hear about the flip side of this.

Well I guess it is promising that no one has replied after 24 hours. Time for some weird and wacky combinations.

I've just started an AIPA tonight with Simcoe, Cascade and Fuggle. Maybe not too out there but someone on another forum suggested I ditch the Fuggle.

I can only think of commercial brews that have had the whole kitchen sink of hop choices thrown at it which tasted muddled or overly dank to me. I think I personally enjoy hops together that have similar qualities. For example citrus flavours from Amarillo, cascade and galaxy. If you want to get to know some hops then single malt single hop brews are great. You could even do a few single hop batches and blend them in the glass to find out what you like. It's all good fun whichever approach you take. 👍

Well I guess it is promising that no one has replied after 24 hours. Time for some weird and wacky combinations.

I've just started an AIPA tonight with Simcoe, Cascade and Fuggle. Maybe not too out there but someone on another forum suggested I ditch the Fuggle.

I think the reason there have not been many replies is that the majority of brewers try to ensure their hop combinations are compatible rather than trying ones that may not be. :)

I reckon a bad hop combination is purely down to personal taste and would probably involve a hop you didn't like.

A brewer told me that Simcoe and Fuggles is a great combination, so give it a try. I intend to. I'm not a huge fan of fuggles but he said try them with Simcoe. Cascade will fit in well with them too.

I think most hops can work together trying to balance a bold US aroma hop with something more delicate though is tricky.

In all likelihood though one will overpower the other meaning you lose some of the subtleties of the more delicate hop?

I'm sure I had a beer brewed on the Isle of Wight with fuggle and cascade. Don't remember it being great though.

I can only think of commercial brews that have had the whole kitchen sink of hop choices thrown at it which tasted muddled or overly dank to me. I think I personally enjoy hops together that have similar qualities. For example citrus flavours from Amarillo, cascade and galaxy. If you want to get to know some hops then single malt single hop brews are great. You could even do a few single hop batches and blend them in the glass to find out what you like. It's all good fun whichever approach you take. 👍

I'd vote for the single hop brews first too.

To my taste the only real no no is too many / much high AA content, to much added early in the boil can be really overwhelming.

JMHO.....if you cant taste or smell the hops then dont bother adding them. Ive seen so many recipes that add a number of different hops at different stages, and whilst the finished beer may be very good, if you took a certain hop out or didnt put the right ammount in, you would never be able to tell the difference.

Latest posts

Back