hop head clone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nuggitmv

Regular.
Reaction score
was thinking of doing a beer as close as i can to hop head going to have a play with beersmith but was just fishing for info :whistle:

was thinking along the lines of

4000 g maris otter
50 g flaked barley (not to much as dont want to much haze)

and 130 g of cascade hops

:wha:

I have something similar planned for the next AG.

90% Maris Otter low colour
10% Torified Wheat (for head)
~100g Cascade maybe abit of Nelson Sauv at flame out

Did one only using cascade and it was beautiful. During the boil it smelt of lemon cheese cake :eek: ! Lovely smell great pint!

Cascade are my fave US hop. You just can't go wrong with them. My house pale ale is 100% home-grown Cascade.

phettebs said:
Cascade are my fave US hop. You just can't go wrong with them. My house pale ale is 100% home-grown Cascade.

As your on the other side of the water with probaly more knowledge of US Hops .....

How do you rate Mount Hood.. and how does this compare with cascade

I've used Mt. Hood a few times but to me, they are closer to a German style hop than an American like Cascade. They certainly have their place. But if I wanted a hop forward beer, and I had to chose between the two, hands down, Cascade.

after playing with beer smith and abit of digging ive found out that darkstar make hop head out of just maris otter and intrerestingly they use 3 types of yeast a mix of safe ale 04 us 05 and nottingham so the recipe now looks like this

3000g maris otter

20g cascade 90mins

20g cascade 15 mins

30g flame out

thinking it maybe bit light on hop but im told that hop head is about 29 IBUs this comes in at 32 but dont want to cut any more :hmm:

Cascade hops are a great late addition or dry hop variety, but not really the best for that high alpha bitterness. They throw off a great aroma though. Have you thought about using carapils as a dextrin malt instead of the wheat? Wheat provides a softer body, good head retention, and a less acidic PH to the beer. An IPA or pale really should have a PH of about 4.6-5.2 letting the acid really bring out the alpha acids of the hops.

Here's an idea:

15 pounds marris otter
1 pound carapils
1.5 pounds crystal 60 L

3 oz chinook (or AA 10+% you can find) 60 min

2 oz magnum (AA 13%) 20 min

3 oz cascade 5 min

3 oz cascade after primary has completed as a dry hop.

thanks looks good but was trying to clone darkstar hop head and they only use maris otter and cascade change it a bit as last post

Latest posts

Back