hop help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melyn

Reaction score
I have slightly messed up my last hop order & am a little short( highlighted in red below) of the hops in two of my next brews.
Both recipes are based on the latest edition of Graham Wheeler's book, Brew your own British Real Ales" and are the 25 litre versions.
I have the following spare hops
Styrian 13 grams. E.K.G 22 grams. Challenger 4 grams. Fuggles 9 grams. Progress 78 grams.
Can anyone please suggest how to best adjust the recipes without much compromise to the original.

London Pride clone.
Pale Malt (Maris Otter) (grams) 4080
Crystal Malt (grams) 400

Start of Boil
Target Hops (grams) 14
Challenger Hops (grams) 8
Northdown Hops (grams) 8
Last Ten Minutes of Boil
Golding Hops (grams) 10
Irish moss last 15 mins of Boil

Felinfoel double dragon
Pale Malt (Maris Otter) (grams) 3430
Torrified wheat (grams)340
Crystal Malt (grams)125
Black malt(grams)51

Start of Boil
Challenger Hops (grams) 24
Bramling cross(grams) 8
Whitbread Golding (grams) 8

Last Ten Minutes of Boil
Whitbread Golding (grams) 13
Irish moss last 15 mins of Boil

Thanks in advance & I hope my query makes sense, as I was forced to do some Quality control tonight.:)

If it were me I'd use the Northdown instead of Challenger, as they are very similar, and make up any shortfall in IBUs with some of the Progress.
Then I'd use the Fuggle instead of Bramling Cross, and the Styrian instead of Whitbread Golding at the start of boil, again using the Progress to make up any shortfall in IBUs .
As these are all bittering additions the change in flavour won't be very significant.
Then use your EKG instead of the Whitbreag Golding for the 10 min addition.
The recipes might not be exactly the same as the original, but will be close and still tasty!

Agree with Dan. It's the hops added late in the boil that affect things most from a flavour POV.

With the bittering hops, it's most important that adjustments are made to allow for differences in the alpha levels of the hops used each time. The brewery will do this. If the alpha levels are significantly different to those given in a recipe I would put recipes into brew software or online ibu calculator and adjust the hops to get the IBU level right.

Latest posts

Back