Hop rhizomes from plants.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honk

Landlord.
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to get rhizomes from a hop plant, to start new plants?

Presumably it's just a matter of digging up a section of the existing root system but what time of year should this be done? Also my plants are in the first year so should I allow them to get more established before attempting this?

Depending on replies would anyone be interested in exchanging rhizomes when the time is correct? I have prima Donna and EKG but the EKG didn't do well this year.

Does anyone know how to get rhizomes from a hop plant, to start new plants?

Presumably it's just a matter of digging up a section of the existing root system but what time of year should this be done? Also my plants are in the first year so should I allow them to get more established before attempting this?

Depending on replies would anyone be interested in exchanging rhizomes when the time is correct? I have prima Donna and EKG but the EKG didn't do well this year.

Your idea is basically right and i can't see why doing it after one eyar would cause to much if any damage to your plants.

best time of year would be when they are totally dormant, so somewhere between November and end of Feb.

Happy to swap for a Prima Donna, I have cascade, target saaz and Northern Brewer.

I was going to start a new thread but without wishing to hijack this one... I've grown 3 prima Donna plants in large tubs this year from rhyzomes. They did ok and ill actually get a small crop.
But what do I do with the plants once they're done? Can I just cut them back and leave the pots outside ready for next season? I plan on getting them into even bigger tubs for next year but not really sure how to go about this. Guess I wait till they're dormant and then get the entire root system into the new tubs. Are they ok outside through the winter or will the frost's kill then?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back