Hop substitution and AA calculation?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StoutWolf

Regular.
Reaction score
Due to a disaster with a kit brew some time ago I have what I think is a mixed packet of hop Pellets 30g fuggles and 30g Goldings. They were meant for dry hopping the kit, but having smashed a hydrometer in the wort I poured it down the drain!

I'd like to put them to use, and make ~7l of stove top AG. So, what I'm thinking is based on average AA %'s of maybe 3.5% and 5.5% the blend is maybe 4.5%.

looking for a recipe, I have the necessary malts for GH Yorkshire bitter. If I take a third of his recipe then it wants ~10g of 7% challanger at 60 mins. Can I use (7/4.5)*10 =~15g of the blend instead. Likewise then using a similar calculation to get 12g replacing 7g of 8% first gold at 10 minutes and 7g replacing 4g of first gold at flameout.

Is this an OK approach, or does it not work like this? Will these hops make a passable bitter, what I've read suggests they can both be dual use and should be ok in an English bitter.

Latest posts

Back