Hop tea

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labrewski

Landlord.
Reaction score
How long would do you leave your hops soak for when doing a hop tea I plan on doing one this evening before I keg

I normally treat it as I would a hopstand, around 20-30 mins at around 80c.

That's my two cents, for what it's worth
I purchased a large coffee press years ago but never used it after reading too much negativity. How much water/hops do you use for a 20L batch? Do you add direct to the keg?

I tried 2 batches 50 g in a smash beer and around 160 g in an ipa style
I made it in a pot ran through a sieve then into keg before filling around 1 liter of tea in each
Soaked for 20 min at 65 degrees
Can't wait to try

I added 40 grams of simco in 1 litre of 60 deg. C of water.

Let it steep for 8hrs.

To be honest it wasnt as potent as I had hopped.

As I under stand you wouldnt want to use water over 70 deg. C or else you will be increasing bittering rather than aroma.

Sieved it and was 99% freeof bits.I did use full hops btw

buddsy

I purchased a large coffee press years ago but never used it after reading too much negativity. How much water/hops do you use for a 20L batch? Do you add direct to the keg?
I tend to go with about 40g per 500ml (a little more than seems to be recommended so probably results in some wastage) or until it pours dark green, and is deathly bitter when you taste it. And then add it to the barrel, then make another of it isn't enough and repeat.

Right not what I expected the smash beer I used 50g hop tea is way toooo bitter
It was a pale ale malt with Dr rudi hop small 30g 60 min and 120g flameout,hopstand
Oops

65 for 20 mim I must have messed up during the boil because I did another tea with 160 g of comet ,chinook,cascade and its not bitter at all

Back