Hoppy Copoer Wilko (1.5kg kit)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will B

Reaction score
Having tried a cpl of brews now, I thought I'd have a go at this. However my inclination was to use 50/50 brewing sugar/spray malt and maybe to add hop pellets towards the end of primary fermentation. This is as suspect the beer might be a little insipid otherwise. Do you think my approach is overkill or OK? And any advice on how many hop pellets to add in for a 40 pint brew? I used a handful from a sachet for the Festival kit a cpl of brews ago - any recommendations appreciated. Apologies as I am a novice this is my third brew - so nothing too technical please! Thanks, Will

Thank you so much! Much appreciated. I will do as you suggest...Will

I did this kit a few weeks ago ,I wish I'd done it as per Terrym's recommendation.
Mine isnt great at the moment..not sure what I've done differently with this kit but its got a hint of twangy homebrewyness about it. :confused:

Thanks for asking! I have been a little busy recently but started today in fact! I'll let you know in a week or so. Planning to add hops in on day 5 ...thanks! Until then...

I did this kit a few weeks ago ,I wish I'd done it as per Terrym's recommendation.
Mine isnt great at the moment..not sure what I've done differently with this kit but its got a hint of twangy homebrewyness about it. :confused:
If this is the kit that you discussed about three weeks ago it probably hasn't conditioned out yet. In spite of what others may suggest that kits only take a week to ferment, and perhaps the kit instructions too, advice to new brewers is to initially follow the 2+2+2 'rule' which is 2 weeks in the FV, 2 weeks to carb up, and 2 weeks before you sample at which point it may or may not be drinkable. Some beers take longer to come good, especially darker or high ABV beers and your Hoppy Copper bitter I would say is medium. I suggest you leave it for another two weeks at least and you may find that some of the twang has conditioned out.

Great! Thank you. How long should I then leave the hops in before siphoning into the barrel for secondary fermentation, do you think? Thank you!

Sorry one or two more Qs - how many hop pellets would you use for a 21 litre brew? And for how long pls? V grateful for help asap!! Much appreciated!

Sorry one or two more Qs - how many hop pellets would you use for a 21 litre brew? And for how long pls? V grateful for help asap!! Much appreciated!
The quantity of hops for a dry hop you add is down to personal choice about how hoppy you like your beer, what sort of hops you are using, and the volume of beer.
In this case all I can suggest that if you are using an English hop like EKG you go for somewhere between 30 and 50g and see how it goes. Less will probably not do much, more might be too much, but that is just my view.
And again how long you leave them in is personal choice. I suggest between four to six days, but thats what I would do.

Just to say that after 2 weeks in the fermenter and 2 weeks secondary this beer made to the conditions above is in my opinion EXCELLENT! Cleared today ..pic attached. Thank you all for advice, Will.

Attachments

• 20201002_191400.jpg
    20201002_191400.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 51
Back