Hops_and_Dreams Brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hops_and_Dreams

Landlord.
Reaction score
Thought I'd jump on the bandwagon and just have the one thread for all my brews - it seems to make sense!

I've had some Vienna (crushed) kicking about for ages, so long in fact that I thought about chucking it, but decided to go ahead and use it anyway. As it's about four months old, I'm sure it will be ok and if its not, at the very least I'll learn when to use it by in future.

Decided to go for a SMaSH with Cascade as it's one I've always wanted to do a single hop brew with.

Recipe as follows:-

Target OG 1039
Target FG 1008
ABV 4.1%
IBU 44
SRM 5

4.5kg Vienna Malt

22g Cascade 60min
25g Cascade 20min
25g Cascade 5min
78g Cascade 0min
50g Cascade 5 day dry hop

1 Whirlfloc tablet 15min

Mash at 66c for 60min (actually about 3hrs as the footy is currently on)

Rehydrate 11g BRY-97 and pitch at 20c

I'd adjusted the 60min addition up at bit as the oldest pack of hops are 2013, so I'm aiming for 40ish.

Still mashing at present and will carry on one the football has finished.

Cheers clibit, yes hopefully will turn out nicely. Not used vienna in any great amount before, so fingers crossed I like it! Cascade smelt really good out of the packet, about 30mins into the boil.

Hit 1040, which is just over 60% I think. Smelt great, the colour was lighter than I expected, more light golden than amber.

Should be a good 'un with any luck.

It's down to 1010 today, tastes like it's still fermenting though. Chucked the dry hops in anyway as it's nearly done and want to keg next Friday. Bought another 100g Cascade extra to dry hop with, so 150g in total should give it a good punch.

It's down to 1010 today, tastes like it's still fermenting though. Chucked the dry hops in anyway as it's nearly done and want to keg next Friday. Bought another 100g Cascade extra to dry hop with, so 150g in total should give it a good punch.

Sounds good and very hoppy, out of interest, what would you say is your favourite hop?

Sounds good and very hoppy, out of interest, what would you say is your favourite hop?

Out of the ones I've tried, I'd have to say Mosaic, Nelson Sauvin is good too.

I'm really looking forward to this one though, been wanting to brew with Cascade for a while.

Ive used Nelson Sauvin, its good, Scott from Williams Bros advised me to add it when trying to clone one of their beers, must try Mosaic soon, cheers

Ive used Nelson Sauvin, its good, Scott from Williams Bros advised me to add it when trying to clone one of their beers, must try Mosaic soon, cheers

I like Mosaic and Nelson Sauvin. And Centennial, Simcoe, Columbus. Plenty of others, but those are now staples of mine, which can all be used across different beer styles and at all stages from bittering to flavour to aroma and dry hopping. All high alpha for bittering but also have great flavour.

Just kegged the cascade brew, tasted really good out of the fv and smelt fantastic. Really looking forward to this one.

Heating up the sparge water for the Slovenian Pale I'm currently making, will post recipe in a bit.

Just using up the last of the Slovenian hops in a pale ale. Should be nice and fruity.

Recipe as follows:

23ltr Batch
Target OG 1049
Target FG 1011
ABV 5.0%
IBU 40
SRM 10

5.0kg Maris Otter
0.41kg Munich Type 1
0.055kg Black Malt

20g Aurora 60min
10g Wolf 20min
10g Cardinal 20min
10g Eureka 20min
20g Wolf 0min
20g Cardinal 0min
20g Eureka 0min
20g Wolf 5 day dry hop
20g Cardinal 5 day dry hop
20g Eureka 5 day dry hop

1 Whirlfloc 15min

Rehydrate 11g Gervin GV-12 and pitch at 20c

Kegged the Slovenian Pale this morning. Tastes pretty promising and better than the first Slovenian beer I made at this stage.

Really looking forward to trying the Cascade smash next weekend, have high hopes for that one.

Might fit a brew day in next weekend if I'm lucky, if not it will have to wait till the week after.

Kegged the Slovenian Pale this morning. Tastes pretty promising and better than the first Slovenian beer I made at this stage.

Really looking forward to trying the Cascade smash next weekend, have high hopes for that one.

Might fit a brew day in next weekend if I'm lucky, if not it will have to wait till the week after.

Hi Hops, i made a Cascade smash myself a few weeks ago and its bloody lovely, one of the better smash,s ive done i do love Cascade:grin:

Hi Hops, i made a Cascade smash myself a few weeks ago and its bloody lovely, one of the better smash,s ive done i do love Cascade:grin:

Hello Stevie, yeah not tried Vienna before as a base, so fingers crossed.

Not sure what to do next, the Mosaic/Citra or ordered some Best Malz Red X to make a red ale with Amarillo. Was going to be an Oatmeal Stout, but want to get my summer stocks up first.

Hello Stevie, yeah not tried Vienna before as a base, so fingers crossed.

Not sure what to do next, the Mosaic/Citra or ordered some Best Malz Red X to make a red ale with Amarillo. Was going to be an Oatmeal Stout, but want to get my summer stocks up first.

Vienna is lovely, now your talking Mosaic and Citra :grin: oh the thought of it is making me thirsty :thumb:

Couldn't resist any longer, the first pint of the cascade smash - lovely! If I'm overly critical, I'd like it to have been a bit more bitter, guess that's what I get for using 2013 hops for bittering. Very drinkable though and an easy going 4%, so I can have a few!

smash.jpg

Couldn't resist any longer, the first pint of the cascade smash - lovely! If I'm overly critical, I'd like it to have been a bit more bitter, guess that's what I get for using 2013 hops for bittering. Very drinkable though and an easy going 4%, so I can have a few!

Pilgrim is a nice Hop in a smash also, have you tried it yet?

Latest posts

Back