Hopsteep Brewing

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

samale

Landlord.
Reaction score
I am on the look out for some new beer styles to try. Belgian wit is high on the list along side a robust porter

Hopsteep

Flat out like a lizard drinking
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good work there athumb..
The counterflow chiller moved a bit out of shape with its maiden voyage as the base it was sat on didn’t support all of the weight. So after canning I found an old off cut of hardwood and bottled that to the brew bench and gave it a lick of paint. Fingers crossed that should keep the coils neat and tidy now.

Hopsteep

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spent a few hours this evening giving everything a deep clean as I’ll be going from Belgian yeast to a lager so definitely don’t want anything left behind from previous batches in the FV.
First a good clean with PBW and then a 20 minute soak in a solution of Antiformin 🍺
Currently collecting RO water with the aim of firing up the brew rig tomorrow evening for an overnight mash.

Rodcx500z

Landlord.
Reaction score
I am on the look out for some new beer styles to try. Belgian wit is high on the list along side a robust porter
Hi Sam, that is my next beer i am waiting for wheat grains to arrive, ignore the yeast i will use cml gretel or kristalweisen, here is my recipe
Witty wonderland
Witbier

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 21.0
Total Grain (kg): 4.725
Total Hops (g): 73.50
Original Gravity (OG): 1.049 (°P): 12.1
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (°P): 3.1
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.81 %
Colour (SRM): 3.5 (EBC): 6.9
Bitterness (IBU): 18.6 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
2.625 kg Pilsner (55.56%)
2.100 kg Wheat Malt (44.44%)

Hop Bill
----------------
10.5 g Target Pellet (9% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.5 g/L)
31.5 g Saaz Pellet (3.6% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (1.5 g/L)
31.5 g Saaz Pellet (3.6% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (1.5 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------
21.0 g Coriander Seed @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
42.0 g Orange Peel @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 30°C with WLP400 - Belgian Wit Ale

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Hopsteep

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did an overnight mash last night with the recipe below :beer1:

I had planned on sparging first thing this morning and being finished by now but life has gotten in the way :confused: The mash tun is currently sat at 53 degrees which is quite impressive though!

When I get back this afternoon the brew day will resume...

Lockdown Lager
Czech Premium Pale Lager
40L Batch

Colour 6 EBC
Est Abv 4.5%
32.5 IBU

Fermentables
Lager Malt 8500g / 89.5%
Carapils 1000g / 10.5%

Boil (60 minutes)

30 mins
Hallertauer Hersbrucker 60g / 9.7 IBUs
20 mins
Hallertauer Hersbrucker 60g / 7.7 IBUs
10 mins
Hallertauer Hersbrucker 100g / 7.6 IBUs
5 mins
Saaz 130g / 7.5 IBU

Yeast
Crossmyloof Hell German Lager (4 x 11g packets)

Adjusted Water (RO filtered)
Ca 10ppm, Mg 0ppm, Na 8ppm, SO4 23ppm, Cl 4ppm and a mash PH of 5.3

Hopsteep

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did an overnight mash last night with the recipe below :beer1:

I had planned on sparging first thing this morning and being finished by now but life has gotten in the way :confused: The mash tun is currently sat at 53 degrees which is quite impressive though!

When I get back this afternoon the brew day will resume...

Lockdown Lager
Czech Premium Pale Lager
40L Batch

Colour 6 EBC
Est Abv 4.5%
32.5 IBU

Fermentables
Lager Malt 8500g / 89.5%
Carapils 1000g / 10.5%

Boil (60 minutes)

30 mins
Hallertauer Hersbrucker 60g / 9.7 IBUs
20 mins
Hallertauer Hersbrucker 60g / 7.7 IBUs
10 mins
Hallertauer Hersbrucker 100g / 7.6 IBUs
5 mins
Saaz 130g / 7.5 IBU

Yeast
Crossmyloof Hell German Lager (4 x 11g packets)

Adjusted Water (RO filtered)
Ca 10ppm, Mg 0ppm, Na 8ppm, SO4 23ppm, Cl 4ppm and a mash PH of 5.3
Brew day, although delayed, has gone really well. Currently recirculating through my counterflow chiller and summoning some motivation to start the clean up 😂
Here’s a little video of the mash earlier…

Hopsteep

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really like that recipe - bet that’ll come out lovely athumb..
Fingers crossed! I don’t brew lagers very often, usually twice a year. I tend to tweak the previous year’s recipe for a bit of fun and experimentation.
This is my first time using CML’s dried lager yeast. I’ve heard good things!

Hopsteep

Supporting Member
Reaction score
4A11667A-00D2-40B2-88CA-D6109AD545B2.jpeg

The wort was down to 14 degrees after cooling in the fermenting fridge over night, so the yeast was pitched and temp controller set to 12 degrees 🍺

Edit- the mash efficiency was through the roof yesterday after a mash of 16 hours 😂 came in at 1.050, several points above target

An Ankoù

Landlord.
Reaction score
A bit late, but just caught this at the top of the last page. Why not log on to Castle Maltings site? Go to the malts list and each malt has a description and a couple of recipes. You don't have to use their malts, but for those that you do, thehomebrewcompany stocks a good range. It's a similar story with the Crisp's site although what they recommend you do with Chevallier is a bit contentious to say the least.

Hopsteep

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had a great time away in Norfolk with our caravan.

Got back yesterday to find my lager fermented out, so gave it a quick diacetyl rest overnight and now crash cooling it for a few days. The extended mash meant instead of 1.044-1.010 it’s actually gone and fermented from 1.050 to 1.006 😮
Sample at this stage tastes really nice, crisp and with plenty of hop flavour coming through.

Hopsteep

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We’ve been invited round a friend’s house on the 17th and he has excitedly informed me he has a garden bar with a beer engine which he built during so I’m going to try and get a beer brewed to take round and hitch up to his engine.

As Time is going to be an issue (not long now and I have a lager taking up my brew fridge) I’m planning on brewing a small batch of something hoppy and hazy 🍺

Hopsteep

Supporting Member
Reaction score
43B1FF2D-7423-44F3-94C8-CB3B92B09FA3.jpeg
909D9E18-DDD5-4BB0-B9CC-7BAEF683D701.jpeg

So, the boss is having her nails done so I thought it was a good opportunity to disappear in the garage for an hour and plan a brew day!

Whilst milling the grist I thought I would sample @Benfleet Brewery ’s Harvest Pale Ale 🍺

A thirst quenching, crisp and citrusy pale ale that lasted about 5 minutes. Thoroughly enjoyed this 👍

The-Engineer-That-Brews

Tinkering around
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We’ve been invited round a friend’s house on the 17th and he has excitedly informed me he has a garden bar with a beer engine which he built during so I’m going to try and get a beer brewed to take round and hitch up to his engine.

As Time is going to be an issue (not long now and I have a lager taking up my brew fridge) I’m planning on brewing a small batch of something hoppy and hazy 🍺
Funny you should mento this - I went to see a friend at the weekend and he has beer engines in his home bar; took a couple of 5L bags of my bitter and mildl down and it really is a fantastic way to serve them

1625554513691.png

Hopsteep

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny you should mento this - I went to see a friend at the weekend and he has beer engines in his home bar; took a couple of 5L bags of my bitter and mildl down and it really is a fantastic way to serve them

View attachment 50305
That looks great! I was tempted to buy a couple of bags but thought I may as well take a corny and CO2 bottle. That way I can take home what’s left 🍺

He’s got the Beer365 engine which looks to have a built in check/demand valve. So the plan is to maintain about 1 or 2 psi in the corny using my CO2 bottle. We’ll see how we get on, in theory this should work.

Brewing a hazy American pale today using two vessels for a 19L batch. Not a lot of time for any other style to clear so I’m cheating 😂

Hopsteep

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My friend's pumps are the Angram Counter Mounting (CM) ones - thought I'd just have a look at the price on those and I nearly fell off my chair!
Blimey, they are silly money. If I ever get one it'll be a second hand job :laugh8: