how do i 'chocolate' a stout kit ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loady

[Superlative Сasual Dating Real Women]
Reaction score
I wanted to brew a chocolate stout like youngs double chocolate which i REALLLLY like..i couldnt find a kit for it so i just got a normal stout kit which needs sugar added...can i make it chocolate some how and what sort of ratio will i need to add whatever i need to add

Or you could brew the stout as normal and keg/bottle it. Then when you pour a pint add some chcolate extract. This way you can have a vanilla stout, coffee stout or a straight up stout.

Chocolate Nibs, Make the kit up as directed, remove a couple of pints of the wort and boil up 250g of chocolate nibs for 10 minutes. Strain it back into the FV. . . . A chocolate essence works well as well. if doing this you might want to use some dark malt extract instead of some of the sugar to thicken the kit up

unclepumble said:
Add a bar of aldi 85% chocolate and 200g of youngs lactose, boil them with the wort for 10mins to sanitise, then do the kit aspect normal.

so adding together with what the other op posted..remove 'some of the wart..2 pints ?..boil that with the chocolate bar and lactose in one pot, then push it through some muslin back into the main wort and carry on ??

The stout kit i got is coopers and needs 1kg of sugar added.

250 grms chocolate malt in a grainbag placed in a pan of water between 66 and 77 degrees cent for 30 mins. then place the bag in a sieve and sparge with a litre of water at same temperature, then bring to the boil for 5 mins. to sterilise. I then add the kilo of sugar, the kit usually requires into the pan to boil up. Then pour this into the f.v. with the tin of stout.I've done this with Edme stout,IPA.and just done a Best Bitter with 300 grms of crystal malt in it ,yet to taste. the other two tasted great.
Got this off this forum, thanks ESB Slurper :drink:

thanks for the advice...please dont assume i know the bits inbetween, or i may be reading to much into what your saying...

what am i actually aiming to bring to the boil ? the litre of water i am sparging the bag with ?..

Also just looked for chocolate malt on the malt miller sponsors, it reads..

'Adjunct for bitters, milds and stouts 3% - 5% of grist. Main Characteristics - Strong coffee Flavour.'....

Coffee flavour is not what i am after

I did a chocolate stout commercially for a local micro recently using aldi 85% coco chocolate & lactose, & I chucked the lot in the boil for the last 20 mins & didn't bother with straining it, although a bed of hops does help to filter a little.

The Beer won beer of the festival against some big hitters in the commercial world, including some recent Siba Gold medal winners, so i know Aldi Choccy gives you good results.

One thing you will see is globs of fat/oil from the chocolate, on the surface of the boiled wort, it might be an idea to let rest a few minutes after flame out then skim this off with a spoon.

UP

If you need to add sugar, dissolve a 1kg of Jaggary Goor (asian sugar available online or a good asian supermarket) in the liquid you boil the chocolate in, it will give you another dimension of flavour in the background)

UP

sounds tempting...is it ok to leave my 2ltr of boiled wort/choc/lactose to cool completely and scoop off scum before adding to main wort ??

unclepumble said:
Add a bar of aldi 85% chocolate and 200g of youngs lactose, boil them with the wort for 10mins to sanitise, then do the kit aspect normal.
alanywiseman said:
Or you could brew the stout as normal and keg/bottle it. Then when you pour a pint add some chcolate extract. This way you can have a vanilla stout, coffee stout or a straight up stout.
Aleman said:
Chocolate Nibs, Make the kit up as directed, remove a couple of pints of the wort and boil up 250g of chocolate nibs for 10 minutes. Strain it back into the FV. . . . A chocolate essence works well as well. if doing this you might want to use some dark malt extract instead of some of the sugar to thicken the kit up
unclepumble said:
One thing you will see is globs of fat/oil from the chocolate, on the surface of the boiled wort, it might be an idea to let rest a few minutes after flame out then skim this off with a spoon.
unclepumble said:
If you need to add sugar, dissolve a 1kg of Jaggary Goor (asian sugar available online or a good asian supermarket) in the liquid you boil the chocolate in, it will give you another dimension of flavour in the background)

What great advice given on how to improve a basic stout kit.

unclepumble said:

UP

ok, ill go find that..the kit requires i add 1kg of sugar, but stipulates that i mix with boiling water..but its ok to boil on with added ingredients ? of course i am to add the asian sugar instead of the normal ?

loady said:
unclepumble said:

UP

ok, ill go find that..the kit requires i add 1kg of sugar, but stipulates that i mix with boiling water..but its ok to boil on with added ingredients ? of course i am to add the asian sugar instead of the normal ?

Yes Jaggery Goor instead of cane sugar, the boil is to sanitise it, as it is very unrefined, but its great in beer :D

UP

ok..i have the choccy from lidl, i have the lactose... ( i had a bottle of lactulose put to one side untill my wife pointed out the mistake, that would have been fun LOL)...now i just need a step by step :whistle: :drink:

Latest posts

Back