How long do hops last in the fereezer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmarc

Regular.
Reaction score
The questions in the title :D I was planning a brew something like a samual adams boston larger based on what i have in stock, I found an open packet of Halertaur Hursbruker hops in the freezer best befor date is Feb 12 will these be ok to use or should i just chuck them? I could use some Chalenger and or Golding hops It would just be an English type boston lager instead :cheers:

I would say it depends on how long they weren't in the freezer beforehand, and whether they are vac-packed or not.

They may well be ok, but they might not have as much aroma as a fresher batch. Maybe thaw some out and see what you think?

Be careful about just adding more aroma hops if they seem slightly lacking - I've read that as hops age, the alpha acids turn into beta acids, which don't need to be boiled for long at all to release their bitterness, so if you add more at the 15min stage for instance so you get the same aroma levels, you might end up with a more bitter beer than you were planning.

I've got hops from 2010 in there that I still use and they are fine. I'm sure the alpha acid has dropped a bit since then but if you keep them vacuum sealed and frozen, they will last quite some time.

there not vac packed just wrapped up tightly in foil im swaying towards using them what harm can it do? :ugeek:

Latest posts

Back