How long is sterile?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aleman said:
oldbloke said:
there are a lot of brewers who think everything is perfectly alright with their beers, but when entered into a blind competition around 50% of the beers exhibit bacterial contamination.

That's interesting. Do you mean, blind tasting, and the beers tasted contaminated, or the beers were cultured in the lab to see if anything else was in there except the yeast? If the latter, I don't think it's terribly important, provided the beers tasted great. Even the yeasts we buy don't claim to have no wild yeast present, they all give a "maximium" proportion. Almost nothing is entirely free from microorganisms of one kind or another, so better we concern ourselves with the "proof of the pudding" rather than lab figures.

What do ppl use to sanitise ? currently I'm using WVP or whatever it is, been reading about Star San and was thinking of giving it a go

We always used Chlorine (Sodium Dichloroisocyanurate/Troclosene Sodium) at work for general disinfection and sterilising general bits that needed to be clean through to disinfecting biologically hazardous substances such as blood spills and urine and I continue to use it for general disinfection in the home along with the Milton type stuff. And of course I use it for my brew gear at a rate of 600ppm.

AdyDnt said:
What do ppl use to sanitise ? currently I'm using WVP or whatever it is, been reading about Star San and was thinking of giving it a go
the good thing about star san is you can reuse it so long as its PH is below 3. once it starts to look off i make a fresh batch.

Paddye said:
AdyDnt said:
the good thing about star san is you can reuse it so long as its PH is below 3. once it starts to look off i make a fresh batch.
That is NOT what 5 star and Charlie Talley say.

You can use a made up solution while the pH is below 3.5

It actually says nothing about reusing it

But then when you use 8ml of star san in a 5L bottle, it's costing peanuts why would you want to risk 20 quid (kit brewers) or 10 hours of your time (AG brewers) reusing something that you may get away with

Aleman said:
Paddye said:
AdyDnt said:
That is NOT what 5 star and Charlie Talley say.

You can use a made up solution while the pH is below 3.5

It actually says nothing about reusing it

But then when you use 8ml of star san in a 5L bottle, it's costing peanuts why would you want to risk 20 quid (kit brewers) or 10 hours of your time (AG brewers) reusing something that you may get away with

I read it on some US based forums, my mate whose garage we were brewing in didn't want to waste the water, until recently i had to get it shipped in from the UK or states. now i am about to start brewing in my own house I wont be reusing it.

Latest posts

Back