How long is too long in FV1?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim84

Reaction score
As per the title really!

The brew will be Young's Harvest Bitter and I want to start it on Wednesday in my FV. I used my one and only keg last night for my first Wherry. The plan is to wait a bit to source a good priced keg or maybe even ask for one at Xmas.

That would mean circa 21 days in FV1 before I have a keg to transfer it to.

Is this too long? Will the beer go off or get really flat being in the FV for all that time?

Yes, I could start it nearer Xmas, however, I may get a keg sooner so want it ready ASAP so it can start maturing sooner and therefore taste better once the Wherry has gone!

My beers stay in primary for 21 days. I have no issues. Ferment for 2 or so weeks, then crash cool for a week in the same FV. Others will have their own take on this though :thumb:

I bottled up a beer today that was in the fv for 4 weeks, longer than I would normaly leave it, but illness prevented me from bottling earlier. It tasted really good and was very clear. I think I'll have to leave my beer 3-4 weeks before bottling from now on. I guess what I'm trying to say is, 3 weeks will be fine

My guess would be its probably ok (i've had kits in the fv for that long due to work and family commitments). Keep an eye on your hydrometer readings. Another option might be to brew using supermarket bottled water. Cheap and you have a supply of pet bottles once you've used the water.

Thanks for the quick replies - sounds like I should be OK then!

What would I be looking for on my hydrometer for signs of distress? As you can tell, I'm new to this!

I mentioned the hydrometer as i've found that some kits instructions say 7-10 days (geordie for example) but even in a warm environment that bugger took a while for the gravity to drop and level out. So if you keep an eye on the readings you might find it needs that long anyway!

Ah right, I see!

As it will have plenty of time before I want to rack it anyway I hope the fermentation will have completed, I shall take hydro readings all the same to make sure.

My Wherry was done in 9 to 11 days, probably sooner but I didn't take the hydro reading as I was being patient and not interfering too much!

@tim84,
What would I be looking for on my hydrometer for signs of distress? As you can tell

A hydrometer will not help in showing signs of distress, it is very good at telling you the specific gravity of the beer and thats about it.

For signs of distress you need to use your nose and eyes. Please read HERE to explore the different problems you may get in a brew, there are a few.

If you identify any problems then rather than throw the brew away I would always recommend you bottle the brew ANYWAY - as many of these problems can be overcome by TIME.

They may never be great brews but often as not they do turn out to be drinkable brews.

I have done many very successful brews leaving 21 days in original FV, but after one infected brew I now rack as soon as the vigorous fermentation has finished, in order to get away from the Krausen on the first FV. If you have the one with the Krausen collar and you also wash the lid then you don't have that worry.

I could have tried to save my brew by getting rid of the film with kitchen paper and bottling anyway but I would have viewed every bottle with suspicion and been reluctant to serve them to anyone else.

Bottled a Coopers Pilsner on Friday which had spent 26 days in FV. I've never left a brew anywhere near that long before but had no choice due to working away from home and only back every two weeks for the weekend. It was clearer than anything I've seen before immediately upon bottling and is making me wonder if I shouldn't just leave all future brews in the FV for the better part of a month?

Yes, that's the way to get them clear. I now rack to another FV as I said, but then I leave it a good 20+ days in total. Chill to 12 for the last few days, that's supposed to help them drop clear.

winelight said:
Yes, that's the way to get them clear. I now rack to another FV as I said, but then I leave it a good 20+ days in total. Chill to 12 for the last few days, that's supposed to help them drop clear.

That's a useful point: I had my FV in the garage at around 13C for the latter half, then brought it back into the warm overnight prior to bottling. The exceptional clarity in this most recent case is probably more to do with the temperature rather than the length of time?

All sounds like useful advice so far - moving to a cooler place one the final gravity has been achieved sounds like a good idea as long as I can move it without sloshing about too much!

afaik if kept at fermentation temps you dont want to leave the beer on yeast for too long after you have hit your final gravity as the yeasts can start canabalising themselves and that can impart dodgy flavor see autolysis https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... s_(biology)&ei=_0KcUs2RCI2ShgfU7YDIAw&usg=AFQjCNHctlPARJZ5LuckzDX738nBV4EA3Q&sig2=_tn3Qn7rpupt9neAphfxGQ&bvm=bv.57155469,d.ZG4

BUT if cooled you can let it sit for much longer as the yeasts are less active/domant - and you are in effect lagering the beer ;)

From what I've read, autolysis takes some time, certainly far longer than the times we're talking here (ie 4 weeks). Nevertheless, Fil's point is a good one as it does seem to be a serious limiting factor in respect of how long is too long. That said, no one seems to really agree what too long is in order for autolysis to start. Anyone know?

Everytime I leave beer too long in a primary FV I get infections. You may be ok this time of year but if you have a second FV spare I would put it in that away from the old yeast and all the ***** on the sides of the FV.

My last infection had blue mould growing on the crud on the side of the FV and it had been in there less than two weeks. :twisted: :twisted:

Autolysis is not a problem on your timescale, infection is the only risk and the further you are on in the fermentation the more you have going for you (alcohol, hops, low pH etc). That doesn't mean you can relax though. If you know you are going to have it in the fv for awhile I would not be checking the gravity every day as this opens you up to potential problems. Check it just before you intend to package just to make sure you are at the predicted FG.

graysalchemy said:
Everytime I leave beer too long in a primary FV I get infections..

Only happened to me once.... but once is enough. Should have listened to your advice in the first place, that would have saved me 40 pints of Coopers Stout.

Latest posts

Back