How Long to boil 15L ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pjam

Landlord.
Reaction score
A daft question but I do like to plan ahead. It'll be on a domestic gas ring.

Sort of depends how thick the steel on your pan is. I found it took around 45mins to get from sparge to boiling point when I boiled 15L in a 19L pan on a wok-burner ring, but then my 19L pan's steel is so thin I reckon it'd pass the feck test... :lol:

That was from around 60C - if you are doing extract and therefore from cold, then it'll take quite a bit longer. If you use more than one burner ring, maybe a bit less.

Yep, extract from cold.

Oooo a wok burner would be a brilliant thing to have, sounds pokey :twisted: Sadly mine is just a standard 10cm burner. Pan is a thickish ally one.

Gotta be honest, I don't reckon my wok burner is any better than the 4" one! Bloody MFI...

On a single 4" burner you are probably looking at at least 45mins from 60C, and anything up to 75mins from cold (you lose less heat from the sides of the pan at lower temps, so the last 30C or so takes longer).

I boil two-times ~13L in two separate 16L pots (thin steel, though I don't think it would alter the time much if they were thicker) which get to boil from 50-odd degrees C in roughly 20 minutes on a standard big cooker ring with their lids on. Certainly nothing like 40 mins. You might not do as bad as you think.

If your hot water is not coming from a tank, then you're OK to fill it with the hot tap to get you there a bit quicker. If its LME you're using, get the can in hot water first too for a while.

Do you reckon it's worth investing in this kinda thing?

There are lots of the folk on here use that sort of gas ring very successfully. If its a full 7.5Kw ring then you can boil fairly large quantities of water quickly. They say its a 5.33Kw ring which is smaller but I would expect it to boil pretty quickly also. You might need to invest in a larger boiling pan which would give you a larger brew length.

That can't be bad :thumb:

Yep LME. Though the one I've got came in 3kg plastic tubs

morethanworts said:
If your hot water is not coming from a tank, then you're OK to fill it with the hot tap to get you there a bit quicker.

Ah OK, yeah it's a combie boiler so that'll help a bit :)

morethanworts said:
I boil two-times ~13L in two separate 16L pots (thin steel, though I don't think it would alter the time much if they were thicker) which get to boil from 50-odd degrees C in roughly 20 minutes on a standard big cooker ring with their lids on. Certainly nothing like 40 mins. You might not do as bad as you think.

I reckon I've got a dodgy ring then (matron...) :shock:

I use a kettle element in my FV now, which is a lot less hassle for me. Must try and clean the cooker gas jets at some point...

Latest posts

Back