How long will beer keep maturing? How to store it?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baz Chaz

Landlord.
Reaction score
Well my friends, this is a serious observation which, (as I sometimes have a habit of doing) is wrapped up in a happy tale of a time long ago when our mate went over to 'the dark side' and a tale of beer maturation aided by a poor memory :roll:

While Old Baz was making the latest brew earlier this week, he was hunting through the brewing gear and made some discoveries, items placed caringly into storage and some forgotten, like a spare pair of specs I’ve been looking for which were ‘caringly stored’ in the brew drawer :oops:
Some of the old ways and powers have been lost by our old mate, the grey matter isn’t quite as reliable as it was. Wandering round the house/den/garage chanting incantations of the old world, such as ‘wherethefeckaremespecs’ which seemed to work years ago no longer seem to be as effective as they were, but maybe its not the power of the incantations that are failing :wha:

Whilst Baz was happily brewing in the possession of the lost specs, during time whilst the grains were quietly soaking in the Tun of Mashing, Baz was doing a bit of sorting out with a view to throwing some things away, (in reality this simply meant moving things around, for our mate is a bit of a squirrel :oops: ) While rearranging various tool boxes there quietly nestling in amongst the boxes of Christmas decorations and historical bits of timber in 'The Den Brewery' was a small box, some 10 inches x 12 x 12 :!:

Why would this particular box cause Old Baz’s eyes to widen and break into a smile? simple, there on the corner of the box was the ancient rune, a symbol of the Day he went over to ‘The Dark Side’ it read simply AG#1 14/9/2010 :idea:

It had been placed hidden away so it could mature without the weak willed drinking it too soon, however, it had now been there unmolested for almost 16 months, how it had been missed when the Christmas decorations had been used I don’t know, but never mind.
The box was carried with due reverence from ‘The Den’ to the house, so it could come up to room temperature, which to be honest isn’t much warmer than ‘The Den’ ‘cos Baz keeps turning down the Ther Mo Stat (to conserve the fuel Baz gathers from the nearby woods), much to the annoyance of the Provider of The Pocket Money, who thinks it should be summer temperatures all year :?

The box was opened and there inside, the contents were as they had been placed, just 16 months older. In due time, later in the evening, the vessel of THBF was placed upon the worktop and the first bottle of AG#1 from the box was opened, the crown cap bent open and released a small hiss and smoke like the breath of an angel rose from the neck of the bottle. Carefully poured into the vessel of THBF, a pint of beauty was poured, lovely and clear, a nice head and the sediment remaining in the bottle which was immediately rinsed and set aside for re-filling :thumb:

Had it ‘gone off’ :? anything sour :x No, it was as smooth as drinking cream, it tasted wonderful, so much so that Old Baz had to have another, followed by another, just to be sure and in the interests of quality control, well that and it was bloody good :drink:

ot3kec.jpg

The remaining 9 bottles of AG#1 are still in the box at the moment, I think 6 might be hidden away again, with some other of the 'oldies', placed like a squirrel hiding acorns for winter, forgetting just where they were stored :hmm:

So, after all my prattle, I could’ve said far earlier, stored properly bottled beers will come to no harm and last a long time, it’s just a case of can you leave ‘em alone for that long. I have other boxes of ‘younger’ brews that I visit and take a sample, but the AG#1 is the oldest, obviously :thumb:

AG#1 thread =

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=10313

cheers chaps

Barking Baz :cheers:

Had a bit of a sort out this afternoon and moved one bottle of each brew that I made last year into the house, going to sample them all this weekend :thumb:

Had a pint of Gales Festival Mild brewed 10th Jan 2011
Followed by #2 Batemans XXXB brewed 24th Jan 2011

going to miss out #3 brew, Black Sheep Riggwelter, there's not many of them left as it was a very good successful brew :thumb:

Just poured a pint of #4 Timothy Taylor Landlord brewed 16th February 2011

all this is in the interests of quality control and checking the difference in each beer :thumb:

think this could be an interesting experiment :whistle: :drunk:

Latest posts

Back