How many cells

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fluidjuice

Yeasty beasty
Reaction score
I washed some yeast from a recent brew and filled a 500ml mason jar, put it in the fridge and let it settle for a couple of days. Poured of most of the spent wort gave it a good swirl and poured it into this 50ml vial. My question is does anyone know approximately how many yeast cells would be in this vial assuming 15ml is viable cells, trying to figure out how much to estimate next starter. Thanks
2b8b9b0a54ad8f0daa26b0497c6e3916.jpg

Please don't call me out for pedantry but according to the source its 1.2 million per milliliter/plato. I was like freaking out and so was my yeast probably! billion? man I have seriously under pitched :D Amazing article - thanks for that.

Tbh I'm not sure about what the degrees plato means. A little further down in the body of the text it states

"Generally 40-60% yeast solids will correlate to 1.2 billion cells per ml."

So I just go by that

I killed a few more on friday night after having supped 15 pints of Wolf Rock:lol:

Tbh I'm not sure about what the degrees plato means. A little further down in the body of the text it states

So I just go by that

yes i see that, very interesting, this needs further investigation because there is a fairly hefty difference between a million and a billion :D

So I just go by that

I see it now, you are absolutely correct, the 1.2 million ml/degree plato refers to the accepted pitch rate rather than how man cells are available in the actual yeast which as you correctly state is 1.2 billion @40-60%

Then it seems to get a little complicated.

I am not sure what 1 bbl is?

I see it now, you are absolutely correct, the 1.2 million ml/degree plato refers to the accepted pitch rate rather than how man cells are available in the actual yeast which as you correctly state is 1.2 billion @40-60%

Then it seems to get a little complicated.

Your absolutely correct when you say it gets a little complicated.

So to avoid all this I actually never bother to measure how much yeast I've got then pitch to an amount given to my by a calculator - I just happen to know how much it should be from researches.

I just eyeball how much I've got and pitch based on previous experience combined with relying on the fact that it's much better to pitch healthy yeast rather than 'more' yeast. So I pitch at high krausen to pitch the healthest yeast possible

Latest posts

Back