How many will I need

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irish

Reaction score
Thanks for the link chippy,

so I think it may have to be 4 bottles of concentrate per gallon as 1 bottle is equal to 1 litre of regular juice.

A decent 6 bottle kit would probably be cheaper and you will end up with something similar in style to a white wine you like, for instance say a chardonnay.

Hey,
Thanks for your answers guys,
Ill be going to Wilkinsons Tuesday to pick up a kit.

Unless anyone knows anywhere cheaper.

Ill check out lidl for the grape juice also and figure which way will be more fun.

As Cqr has said have you thought about a version based on the Wurzels Orange Wine?

I gave up on white grape juice a while ago as it was getting ridiculously hard to find in the supermarkets where we live, i instead gave red grape juice a try and haven't used white grape since, red grape juice is much easier to find and all the big stores seem to stock it, red grape juice doesnt make red wine you will end up with a Rosé type Wine.

ASDA sell it in 2 litre cartons - https://groceries.asda.com/product/grapes-berries/don-simon-spanish-red-grape-juice/910001742024

Tesco - http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=265124880

Iceland - http://groceries.iceland.co.uk/don-...d-grape-juice-not-from-concentrate-1l/p/58783

Thanks chippy and cqr..

A red wow could do the trick, if I wanted to make a gallon just get 4 litres of red grape juice???

Thanks chippy and cqr..

A red wow could do the trick, if I wanted to make a gallon just get 4 litres of red grape juice???

I use one litre of apple juice and one grape juice plus the usual bits
Look at the link I put up
I make lots, it's very nice

I use one litre of apple juice and one grape juice plus the usual bits
Look at the link I put up
I make lots, it's very nice

Thanks for your help, ill go with your plan... sounds like it will be good and nice

Thanks chippy and cqr..

No need to put 4 litres in a 4.5 litre DJ, try two litres to start and if you think its a bit watery you could always add more juice at topping up time (after stabilising)

I have tried two litres of Red Grape juice and it was not as good as 1 litre of Red Grape juice and a litre of apple juice. (see below) you can get many different juices but always add the same amount of grape juice to the new one you are adding.

The recipe below is from the first post in the link Cqr posted earlier - (there are a lot of white grape juice recipes in the early pages, they move on to red grape juice later as white becomes harder to find)

Supermarket juice recipe thread here - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=49462

Rosé wine (One of the best)

1 litre Red grape juice (ASDA)

1 litre Apple Juice (ASDA)

800g Sugar.

1 tsp Tannin or a mug of very strong black tea. (3 bags stirred every couple of minutes as you put the rest of the ingredients together)

1 tsp Yeast (i use youngs super wine yeast compound)

1 tsp Yeast Nutrient.

1 tsp Pectolase.

1 tsp Glycerine.

1 tsp citric acid or juice of one lemon. (optional)

IDShot_225x225.jpg
5051413484562_280_IDShot_3.jpeg

Thanks chippy, ill give that a shot on Tuesday and post pics of my progress.

Thank god for this forum and people willing to help answer , unlike other places where you just get the lists taken out of you..

So thank you for all the help .

Thanks for the comment, we all start out knowing little about this great hobby and without new members the forum would stagnate, belittling people is not what we are about.

I have 1litre of apple/raspberry juice and 1 litre of RGJ topped with H2O to 3.5L, 800g sugar which includes juice content. My question is, if I top up with juice after stabilising it will be too sweet, which I don't want, if I top up with juice when activity dies down, my gravity readings will be confused :confused:, how could I work this out? The online formulas are baffling. :hmm:
Starting: Ginger Wine ( Mrs Rock doesn't drink beer):roll:
DJ: Apple & Raspberry WOW
Bottled: Brewferm Ambrioux
Bottled: Brewferm Christmas Beer
Drinking: Cooper's Mexican Cerveza ( Vol dropped to 17L)

I would top up after stabilising with half a litre of 100% juice (i use apple) and the rest water, using a full litre would be too sweet for us but we all have different tastes.

Thanks Chippy, do you top all your WOW's up with Apple? I've got a variation on the Fiery Ginger Beer, I've made a wine using WGJ, would you top this with Apple or WGJ? Thanks in advance.

4 litres with 350 g of sugar would make reasonable red wine. If you substituted the sugar for a 420 ml bottle of Polish blackcurrant juice and added some tannin, you would get something resembling cabernet sauvignon. I have found the Sainsbury's red grape juice the best available for making wine, but not of course the cheapest at £1.35 per litre. Next best is Don Simon, sold at Azda.

Back