Marsala wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NM1985

Reaction score
So, my grandmother has been banging on about marsala wine for a few weeks now and cant find a sweet enough wine that reminds her of her Malta days back in the early 90's. After a bit of research, ive come up with the following idea to try and replicate it.

Merlot red wine kit 6btl
Stewed apricots (keep water)
OXO cube size of tamarind.
1kg Demerera sugar

My plan is to use the warm water from stewing the apricots to dissolve the demerera sugar, dice the apricots and add the tamarind along with the wine concentrate. Pitch the yeast and top up as necessary. Follow the clearing process 7-8 days later and maybe back-sweeten if necessary. When would you say is the best time to fortify with the brandy?

I'm hoping this will produce a sweet, fruity wine but having not tried a marsala before, I'm not 100% sure how it would compare.

If anyone else has had experience in making a marsala, I'd be happy to listen, learn and adapt as the kit is not due to arrive till tuesday so need all the info i can gather.

Happy brewing!!

Thanks Clarence. I believe shes tried Waitrose variant and its not like the one she had in the Med. From what I can figure out, theres a pretty broad spectrum of marsala out there and when I mentioned apricot and tamarind, she said those are the flavours she remembers

Back