How much cascade to dry with?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samnorfolk

Landlord.
Reaction score
Ive done this recipe

4.4kg MO
300g Crystal

20g Magnum 11.1 @60 mins
20g Cascade 8.5 @10 mins
20g Cascade 8.5 @ flameout

Does it sound ok and how many grams should I dry hop with?

Cheers

Like others have said it depends how hoppy you like you beer and perhaps based on style. I for example am going to DH an English bitter with 10g of bobek, a tenth of what D_o_J and TRD are DHing their beers becuase a) I don't like hoppy beer b) a massive dry hop wouldn't be appropriate for the style I'm trying to make

just done a cascade brew only done 14G for 3-4 days just tried some now and its lovely

I did the recipe as above and im left with 60g cascade pellet

I did a similar recipe with a single hop mosaic recipe and dry hopped that with 60g of mosaic pellet and it came out great.
I love a hoppy pint so im guessing this will give me enough hoppiness

Ive done this recipe

4.4kg MO
300g Crystal

20g Magnum 11.1 @60 mins
20g Cascade 8.5 @10 mins

Cheers

The quantity of hops will depend on your taste (how hoppy do you like your beer?), the style of beer and importantly the hop type or combination of hops you want to use.
I usually dry hop with between 50g and 100g of hops. Anything less than 50g doesn't seem to make a lot of difference.

Ive done this recipe

4.4kg MO
300g Crystal

20g Magnum 11.1 @60 mins
20g Cascade 8.5 @10 mins

Cheers

How much to dry hop with? ALL OF IT!!!

I've always enjoyed Sierra Nevada's American pale ale. I wanted to make something similar. Being I wanted it on the hoppy side I decided to brew it to fall within the sliver where an American pale ale and IPA meet and so targeted 5.5% ABV and 45 IBUs.

I reduce my bittering addition and got the bulk of the IBUs from the late additions, which is what I like to do for my IPAs as well. For this I used 14 g of Cascade (6.8%) @ 70 mins with 49.6 g at both 21 and 7 mins. I used the last 56.7 g as a 49 min whirlpool and dry hop. Next time it will all go in the whirlpool though.

I tried this next to the Sierra Nevada and found mine had way more flavor and aroma as expected, though not as much as I figured, but theirs had a upfront bitterness that I had never noticed before. The bitter my beers have is much less pronounced and smooth that you don't perceive as bitter I guess.

Back