How much fresh juice should I add?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spudhead94

Reaction score
Evening all,

I'm currently planning to make a pineapple IPA recipe is as follows...

3.8kg pale malt
500g Caramalt
66c mash - 60 mis
75c mash out - 10 mins
19g Magnum @ 60 mins - 35IBU
15g Simcoe @ 10 mins 10IBU + Protofloc
cool down and ferment to 18c with mangrove jacks M44 yeast
Day 3 at high krausen add pineapple juice ?Litres and
25g of El dorado, Vic Secret and Citra

Ferment at 18c for 7 days, cold crash at 5c for 3 days.

My only issue is I don't want to over do it on the pineapple juice front, I could add tinned fruit but lets face it i'm lazy. I fancied my shot at the chilled fresh juice which most supermarkets sell, to aid my question I don't want an in your face dominant flavour but I don't want it lingering in the background. My initial thought would be 2 liters?

Any advice is appreciated!

I have brewed a IPA on more than one occasion and bastardised it by adding a litre of juice to it in the barrel and usually it bumps up the fruitiness but it will be hazy/cloudy. When I have tried to make the more traditional style of fruit additions I have used the frozen fruits you get from Aldi etc after the initial 4 days of fermentation. I used 2 and a half kilo's of frozen Mango(let it thaw to room temp first) and got a nice juicy IPA. I have used rhubarb which is the best one I have done and used 1,8kg lightly boiled for a few mins then frozen but I did add 150g of Lactose to counter the sourness and it was really good and still kept most of the sour taste which was just the ticket

Latest posts

Back