How much yeast?

Discussion in 'Wine & Cider Discussions' started by OlliesDad, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Nov 24, 2017 #1

OlliesDad

OlliesDad

OlliesDad

I usually pick up a sachet of yeast and a tub of nutrient from a well known high street shop that sounds like Bilko.

Whether I am making a one gallon demi-john or 23lt bucket load I have always only chucked in one sachet, though I might varythe nutrient a bit.

Today, I visited my local(ish) brewshop and picked up some yeast and nutrient. The bloke in the shop said there was enough to do 5 litres.

Does this mean that I should really be using more yeast for larger vessels? I can see that it might take a little longer to get a fermentation going if you have less yeast, but surely it will multiply as long as there is sugar to consume?

freester likes this.
  2. Nov 24, 2017 #2

freester

freester

freester

I don't think you're wrong at all. A sachet for me is what I use for a bucket (aka fermenting vessel, bin, brewing bucket etc etc). I read somewhere a long time ago if you are fermenting 5L a level teaspoon of dried yeast is fine, for 25L a heaped teaspoon is fine. That isn't a proportional increase in yeast vs volume even for me and my chronic maths.

I think as long as there is enough yeast to eventually outnumber the bad guys in your brew it's all good.

3. Nov 25, 2017 #3

foxy

foxy

foxy

Did you explain to the vendor of the yeast what you were making and what expected ABV you were aiming for.The amount of yeast required for a 4% to an 8% you are best to use the yeast calculator for your pitch rates, for a stronger beer the yeast cells get stressed and they aren't to keen on the high alcohol content.

4. Nov 25, 2017 #4

OlliesDad

OlliesDad

OlliesDad

I just asked for cider yeast. Don't know if it makes a difference between beer / cider but I've had no problems thus far?

5. Nov 25, 2017 #5

Chippy_Tea

Chippy_Tea

Chippy_Tea

Administrator. Administrator

The youngs super wine yeast compound i use says to add 1 heaped teaspoon per 1 gallon demijohn (4.5 litre) so in theory you should use 5 teaspoons in a FV (5 gallons - 22.5 litre)

I was told by a member you can get away with 3 heaped teaspoons in a 5 gallon wine and i have done this many times and never had one fail.