How not to topcrop yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceejay

Landlord.
Reaction score
Here is a perfect example of how not to topcrop yeast. As you can see, this idiot (me) has chosen to put too much top-cropped yeast slurry and half fermented beer in a conical flask that is far too small. It was in the fridge too!

:doh:

I give up!

I use a large square tupperware container, it means you can get a large spoon into it easily and also if it does continue to ferment there is no bottleneck to constrict the gas escaping. :whistle: :whistle:

Hehehe. That would've been the sensible thing. I actually spooned into a sanitised 1 litre pyrex jug. I should have just kept it in there and put foil over the top of that. :lol:

And just think how much fun you would have had with a sealed container :electric: :electric:

Even if the container didn't explode, you would have redecorated whatever room you opened it in, with a lovely shade of beige :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

^ :lol: And then my GF would have redecorated the room with my innards. Pretty much lose-lose!

Aleman said:
you would have redecorated whatever room you opened it in, with a lovely shade of beige :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yeast beige - I wonder if Dulux do that, I might suggest it to 'er indoors, when she hands me the paintbrush this Xmas holiday :clap:

An excerpt from my 'Phenolic Harsh Tasting' thread.
I narrowly avoided said redecoration in beige :whistle:

I collected the beery/yeast/trub in to a 2 litre bottle....really just to have a go at it as it's something I've never done.
The layers wouldn't separate out properly even with an hour in the fridge at 4 degrees, the plastic bottle has also gotten rock hard....so I guess that fermentation of the small amount of beer in there was still going on. I had to take it outside to release the pressure and dispose of it down the drain.
I don't think the old Stones' brewery yeast is going to get another opportunity at my place
:nono:

Latest posts

Back