How sanitary is bottled water?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamthefly

Reaction score
Do I have to boil bottled water before I use it to prime, or if I overshoot my gravity can I just pour straight from the bottle to the fv?
I know it is safe to drink, but any bugs wouldn't have the food to grow until dumped into wort.

Cheers

Just chuck it in. My brewing method (Maxi-Biab) requires me to top up the FV with water (wether tap or bottled) and I've never bothered to boil it with no problems at all in the 3 years or so I've been using this methods

When I prime I boil up the water and sugar to make a syrup, more concerned with boiling off any nasties that might be in the priming sugar tbh

I also use bottled (or tap) water to add to wort when I got a little less than planned and the gravity is a little high.

Handy calculator here to see how much you need to add to get the desired OG = https://www.brewersfriend.com/dilution-and-boiloff-gravity-calculator/

When I first started, I made kit beers and just added tap water to the concentrated wort with no issues so don't see the need to boil first now.

Yeah I just chuck it in and never had a problem. However, I've always been careful to look at the bottles before using them even since I saw the video below (forward to 4:10 for the bit about the dodgy bottled water).

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKDs6t9xJhY[/ame]

I may be wrong but.....I think the cheapo,basics stuff is actually only bottled,filtered tap water. The other "premium" stuff is the certified bottled at source stuff. Tap water is usually "safe enough to drink" but isn't completely sterile ...that's why it went green in the sunlight...or its out of a ditch....

Have used bottled water in the past,can't honestly say i have noticed any difference!
Wouldn't imagine the breweries faffing around with water too much.Youngs brewery in Wandsworth(before it moved) was noted by it's water which is pretty damn hard!.

I don't brew with bottled water, but I did buy a 5 litre bottle from the co-op so I could use it as a fermentor. Looking at the mineral analysis I might as well carry on with tap water :
9F8116E0-9686-48A9-A6D8-4D415CBA9F8D_zpsl2qvbfkp.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

When I prime I boil up the water and sugar to make a syrup, more concerned with boiling off any nasties that might be in the priming sugar tbh

+1

I do use water straight from the bottle to top up boiled wort and had no issues.

on one of the bottles I've used in the past it said 'was filtered through rocks for 1000's of years', but with a best by date of later that year. :lol: phew!- they pulled it out of the ground just in time then! and when your open the bottle they say to use withing x number of days. it's exposing rock filtered water to light and air that will lead to it's deterioration. but it's not treated like tap water :-)

+1

I do use water straight from the bottle to top up boiled wort and had no issues.

on one of the bottles I've used in the past it said 'was filtered through rocks for 1000's of years', but with a best by date of later that year. :lol: phew!- they pulled it out of the ground just in time then! and when your open the bottle they say to use withing x number of days. it's exposing rock filtered water to light and air that will lead to it's deterioration. but it's not treated like tap water :-)

Hahaha
I actually laughed. I love science humor. No one gets it but a few! Hahah. My best friend

Back