How to add permanent volume markings to a kettle

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's very nice. It would be good to have seen the calibration stage in pictures as well. I use a measuring stick, having calibrated that by weight of water (as well as volume). Not sure if I will bother to do this too, but it looks very good.

How do you calibrate a stick or the kettle if using the above method?

I'm using a measuring jug which isn't very accurate.

Cheers
B

Put your jug on the kitchen scales and zero the scale. Fill your jug from another jug. 1 litre of water weighs 1,000g

If you've got some accurate big scales, put the boiler on those, zero, then start filling.

I also use a calibrated measuring stick :thumb:

Trouble is, I can never seem to find the bugger when I need it :(

I can't load the link (might be my ISP or my iPad's problem), if it's not too complicated could someone briefly explain it to me?

Of course if it's complicated then forget it......

Thanks!

jkp said:
I can't load the link (might be my ISP or my iPad's problem), if it's not too complicated could someone briefly explain it to me?
It's quite simple, take a wire from the positive terminal of a 9 volt battery and connect it to your metal pot. Take a wire from the negative terminal and wrap it around the head of a cotton bud or q-tip.

Mix a quarter teaspoonful of salt into a quarter pint of vinegar.

Use insulation tape or stick-on stencils to mask out the area of the pot you want to etch.

Dip the cotton bud in the salt and vinegar solution and touch it for a few seconds to the area you've masked out.

Ok, still can't open the link, but I did some googling for permanent kettle markings and found a nice method. It uses a vinegar, salt solution with a battery connected to a cotton bud to acid etch the markings. Is that the same as this link?

12922687103_bb61fa848b.jpg

Photograph credit to Matt Bates, the original poster of the how-to.

NickW said:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Homebrewing/comments/1zhkvn/a_quick_warning_about_etching_yor_stainless_kettle/

After more reading, some follow-up information

So the etchings need to be passivated with lemon/lime juice or citric acid afterwards. That's good to know! Thanks

NickW said:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Homebrewing/comments/1zhkvn/a_quick_warning_about_etching_yor_stainless_kettle/

After more reading, some follow-up information

Is anyone else having second thoughts about this after reading the above post?

Latest posts

Back