How to fit a ball valve and hop stopper to a Buffalo boiler

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pleased to report that my Buffalo has now successfully done two AG brews with no leaks from around the tap so I am very pleased with my mods. The only issue I had was with wort leaking around the screws that hold the handles on. In my second brew I just kept back about 3.5L of water and used these for a sparge.
Once the silicone tube is on the hose barb it won't come off but I can easily unscrew the barb from the tap. It screws back on and the seal is still good.
I've also found that Oxyclean does a pretty good job of cleaning the boiler but citric acid works wonders. A teaspoon in a couple of kettle fulls of water left for a few minutes and then the dirt comes off the bottom with a gentle rub from a sponge.

Cheers RPT :cheers:
I ordered the parts from the same supplier and they arrived next day. Impressed.
My Buffalo should arrive this week so looking forward to fitting it all together.

The homebrewshop.co.uk is my local one so picked up the filter at the weekend too.
I've made my cooler with 10m 8mm tubing from City plumbing for £15.

I've also ordered a PID from Mixtea on ebay who I've used for STC-1000s previously.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-OFF-Digita ... 336e01fa33

I hope to use this for mash temp control.

Almost there :D

Many thanks for the instructions. I bought all of the items from BES and it was helpful to have the part numbers. Your guide was easy to follow and the fitting very straightforward. I noticed in the picture there is another washer but could not see any of your comments re this. I guess it is the washer from the original Buffalo tap. I did not use this washer , I have cold water tested the boiler and there are no leaks so I'm hoping this washer is not needed. thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
2 washers? :wha:

Anyway, thanks for this, I'm planning on getting one of these next month so I can step up from 15 litre brews. The only downside that I can see is that I'll be spending more time bottling.

ivanhoe71 said:
I noticed in the picture there is another washer but could not see any of your comments re this. I guess it is the washer from the original Buffalo tap.
There is only one washer in the picture. The first thing is a roll of PTFE tap.

Probably/Possibly 1 washer on the inside of the boiler, and 1 outside?
Rpt's walkthrough is very similar to the one on my blog, but I can't remember how many washers I used to be honest! :)

Good luck with the rest of your build!
DA

Hi guys.

I'm new member and thought I'd introduce myself as a means of passing the spam filter. Anyway I'm new to home brewing having started just before christmas. I started with an excellent Woodfordes Wherry kit then getting striaght into AG. Have now just brewed my 9th AG batch (a California style Amber, very hoppy). I got into home brew because I work in Norway where it is around £11 a pint and £16 a six pack. Every cloud has a silver lining though and this one has got me hooked on home brewing, cheers to that!!

Right, enough of the waffle. I am trying to make brewing at home more efficient and have just bought a Buffalo urn. My question is (finally!), has anyone fitted a PID to the urn for protien rest mashes etc?

Be kind now

Simon

I just got all my bits through the post and it took me 5 minutes to convert the boiler! a brilliant guide. Now to do some brewing!

Hi.

Would this same process work for adding a tap to a stainless on the hob boiler?
I have a friend that can cut the hole.

Cheers

R

Rolfster said:
Hi.

Would this same process work for adding a tap to a stainless on the hob boiler?
I have a friend that can cut the hole.

Cheers

R
Yes. There's nothing special about the Buffalo except the hole is ready cut. If I was cutting a hole I'd use half inch BSP fittings as they are more readily available and 'standard'. Just make sure you cut the right size hole - it's not half an inch!

Decided to get 2 of these. One for my boiler and one for my mash tun.

One set didn't go together as there was a problem with the threaded pieces (3/8 nipple I think its called).

I emailed BES and they rang back within the hour and said they were sending the replacement and it should be with me the following day. I was told to dispose of the fault piece.

True to their word it arrived at lunchtime.

Great service.

Now all I need to do is make a hole in my boiler and get a mash tun. That may take a little longer!

I also had problem fitting the 3/8 nipple (screwed ok into the outlet side of the tap but not the internal side). I used the reducing joint to gently thread it in all the way home. Just seems to be badly cut thread on this side. After that it was ok.

Awesome guide! :thumb: .

Ordered all of the parts for my Buffalo this morning :D .
Does anyone know how quickly BES deliver? I am planning a brew day this weekend the parts should arrive by then shouldnt they?

Thanks for the guide! :cheers:

Regards,
Pinchy

Back