how to make a rotating sparge arm

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tazuk

Landlord.
Reaction score
this where i got idea from
ps i used the small drill dit from link
http://www.bohack.com/2010/10/how-to-ma ... n-brewing/

right the main arm is 8mm copper pipe
the upright of sparge arm is 8mm copper pipe
the t section that holds it in one piece is a piece 10mm copper pipe
water in feed is a 15mm to 8mm reducer
as you see on join loads of ptfe tape to hold nut in place and on olive
to seal the bottom of sparge arm and hold the 10mm t section i used contractors sanitary silicon anti-fungal from toolstation its up to you wot you use ??????
holes in sparge arm are as follows
1'' / 1'' /3/4'' / 3/4'' /3/4'' / 1/2'' / 1/4''

DSCF4875.jpg

DSCF4878.jpg

DSCF4879.jpg

DSCF4880.jpg

DSCF4873.jpg

DSCF4872.jpg

DSCF4870.jpg

here is arm in action
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxEfUvQN ... e=g-crec-u

That looks ace and easy to do, will give it a go I think. Just to be clear, am I right in thinking its spinning from the reducer at the top? Have you just not tightened the 8mm side fully and sealed with the plummers tape inside and out?

yes the bit with the ptfa tape on the main thread as its got loads of ptfa tape on stops the nut from getting loose then just some round olive tighten up make sure you can spin arm very easy then job done :D :thumb:

Cononthebarber said:
That looks ace and easy to do, will give it a go I think. Just to be clear, am I right in thinking its spinning from the reducer at the top? Have you just not tightened the 8mm side fully and sealed with the plummers tape inside and out?

Hi Taz!

Any chance you could re post the how-to pics? I can't see them! I've been using a very poorly manufactured spinny and it's caused me nothing but annoyance due to not being balanced properly & needing too high a flow rate to make the thing spin. I am a bit OCD :ugeek: when it comes to process and I really want to get as close to 0.5 ltr/min...

I'd really like to make one like yours and would value the chance to look at that sparge arm sometime! :thumb: As I'm in Nottingham, if you're up for that maybe PM your address and a time when we could meet up? Or you could come to the Madhouse?!

I remember you asking about some samples too! I have a few bottles of SWMBO's Tipple left so could bring a couple for you to sample! :cheers:

Any help much appreciated! :thumb:

I finally got round to making my sparge arm and guess what? It works! :party:

Check it out HERE!

I did mine slightly different as I used compression fittings but it seems to work a treat...

Cononthebarber said:
I finally got round to making my sparge arm and guess what? It works! :party:

Check it out HERE!

I did mine slightly different as I used compression fittings but it seems to work a treat...

Love this :wink:

Could you tell me how your pump setup works? What kind of flow controller is it that the pump is sitting on?

:hat:

I made my pump setup using THIS post as reference but put my pump on the outside and the voltage is controlled using THIS dimmer switch which I just took the innards out of the grey box and connected in series :thumb:

GuitarJImB said:
Hi Taz!

Any chance you could re post the how-to pics? I can't see them! I've been using a very poorly manufactured spinny and it's caused me nothing but annoyance due to not being balanced properly & needing too high a flow rate to make the thing spin. I am a bit OCD :ugeek: when it comes to process and I really want to get as close to 0.5 ltr/min...

I'd really like to make one like yours and would value the chance to look at that sparge arm sometime! :thumb: As I'm in Nottingham, if you're up for that maybe PM your address and a time when we could meet up? Or you could come to the Madhouse?!

I remember you asking about some samples too! I have a few bottles of SWMBO's Tipple left so could bring a couple for you to sample! :cheers:

Any help much appreciated! :thumb:

Blummin El
Was looking around for help on sparging and then seen your addy...just moved from Mapperley the other month, was there 2 years and chilwell a year n a half...gutted :D
That'll teach me eh...but our lass is still at Bulwell ;)
Take care
Bri

Back