How to tell if the the tank is out of CO2 or the gauge is broken?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jceg316

Landlord.
Reaction score
I went to transfer a new beer this morning and saw that my gauge was on 0. I thought there was a gas leak from somewhere and was quite upset, especially as I'm having a party tomorrow night. However, I don't think it's empty, I think the gauge is broken. It's a kegland regulator.

I started the transfer process. What I do is use some cleaner to clean out the keg then run it through the lines to clean the lines and tap. There was enough gas to do this. I noticed the gas within the other kegs and lines didn't diminish. The regulator says 0 so I would expect the gas to the run out pretty quickly but it didn't. I've felt the weight of the canister but tbh I don't know how heavy an empty canister is.

Is there a way to tell if the gauge is broken or if I am out of CO2?

You can weigh the CO2 cylinder it has a tare weight on it and that will indicate if it is empty or very close

Yes the cylinder has a tare weight stamped on is a full cylinder will weigh the tare weight plus the gas weight so a 6.35kg is the weight of gas plus the tare weight

Yeah, unfortunately the gauge on regulators are notoriously inaccurate at telling you how much has is in the bottle. It either shows some, or none.

Yeah, unfortunately the gauge on regulators are notoriously inaccurate at telling you how much has is in the bottle. It either shows some, or none.
It doesn't tell you how much is in the bottle, so can't be inaccurate regarding that.

It doesn't tell you how much is in the bottle, so can't be inaccurate regarding that.

You know what I mean. The gauge either shows some pressure on the bottle side, or none. It's not a good indicator of volume of gas is left.

Yes the cylinder has a tare weight stamped on is a full cylinder will weigh the tare weight plus the gas weight so a 6.35kg is the weight of gas plus the tare weight
Thanks, in future I'll have a look for this. Although next problem is seeing if I have scales which can measure this weight.

Use scales you get weighed on and put the empty cylinder on before you change it and adjust for any variation in weight or weigh the new full cylinder and again adjust if your scales are out.

Latest posts

Back