How to use fermentation stopper

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coolsox

Reaction score
Hi all,my first post and hopefully not a thick question!

My second ever batch of wine (C J Berry Pineapple recipe) is ready to be siphoned into a clean jar. The recipe says to add 1 crushed campden tablet and 1 teaspoon of Potassium sorbate at this time. My first batch was made from a kit so everything was already measured out!

I ordered a jar of Potassium sorbate off Ebay, but its instructions advise to mix with water, and add a teaspoon of the dilute mixture per quart of whatever needs preserving. Can anyone advise if i'm ok to just add the granules or should I dilute it first.

Many thanks in advance for your assistance. :)

I warm a small amount of the wine in the microwave then add 1/2 teaspoon of stabiliser, mix and add to the wine.

wurzel said:
I chuck the granules in and just mix.......that is OK ;)
Me too, I love watching the way they skitter across the surface and dissolve almost instantly.

Thanks all, I wasn't sure if it was a different to what everyone else was using.

Just got my first sip as well, slightly sweet but fruity and very strong! I look forward to the first glass!

Coolsox said:
I ordered a jar of Potassium sorbate off Ebay, but its instructions advise to mix with water, and add a teaspoon of the dilute mixture per quart of whatever needs preserving.
Reading this again, it sounds a bit odd. A JAR of sorbate?

I've only ever bought this in small plastic pots, sold specifically as a winemaking product, and have never seen any instructions to dilute. Can you provide the ebay link? Does it look like soft, crumbly sugar strands / hundreds & thousands, and a creamy colour?

By the way, you probably won't appreciate me telling you now that you could have bought that (labelled as Young's Wine Stabiliser) from Wilkinson's.

Moley said:
Coolsox said:
I ordered a jar of Potassium sorbate off Ebay, but its instructions advise to mix with water, and add a teaspoon of the dilute mixture per quart of whatever needs preserving.
Reading this again, it sounds a bit odd. A JAR of sorbate?

I've only ever bought this in small plastic pots, sold specifically as a winemaking product, and have never seen any instructions to dilute. Can you provide the ebay link? Does it look like soft, crumbly sugar strands / hundreds & thousands, and a creamy colour?

By the way, you probably won't appreciate me telling you now that you could have bought that (labelled as Young's Wine Stabiliser) from Wilkinson's.

Sorry, I should have been precise, it was a small plastic pot! The contents are exactly as you describe. Couldn't have described them any better!

I did try wilkinsons on several occasions, but they didn't appear to have any in stock.

I did try wilkinsons on several occasions, but they didn't appear to have any in stock.

Yeah same here, I'm sure some sod goes in and buys the lot in bulk.

For future reference, you can order any of Wilko's product lines from wilkinsonplus.com and collect from the store a few days later with no delivery charges.

Or, you can send me a PM and say “Oi, Mole, if you're going to the HBS, pick me up some sorbate please”.

* This offer only applies to forum members who live within spitting distance, and for minor purchases.

Latest posts

Back