Hydrometer Readings higher than expected :s

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooperkit23

Reaction score
Right so I'm kind of new to home brewing and last night was the start of day six for my Coopers larger an so by instructions I took a hydrometere readind, 1.023 was my first reading then I thought I might need to de gas the sample so I did, I got a reading of 1.016. I am now confused as to what was the actual reading, I did try a taste sample, although still a little cloudy and ever so slightly carbonated it tasted well just like a flat larger, it did'nt taste bad I don't think :s, Any feed back would be great.

Do another gravity reading , 1016 is still too high to finish for a lager (and kits drop lower too ) i would expect around 1006/8 . Lagers can also take longer to finish , give it a gentle stir to help it along .

Iv just done another reading and iv got 1.016 again, the temp as dropped from being a stable 23c to 21c and has been 21c for around 2 days now, I'm no expert but I don't think that temp drop could change things much as would'nt it still ferment as long as its above 18c??? And when you say stir it, how do you mean? Stir the brew gently without disturbing the sediment at the bottom?? I'm worried if I stir it ill let oxygen in to the brew or am I being a too over cautious?? Cheers guys.

To stir it, just go in slow circular motions and avoid splashing/foaming and all should be fine. Don't worry too much about stirring up the sediment as that will settle back out again.
:thumb:

Is this the Australian lager or European lager? Also what fermentables did you use? I always leave my brews alone in primary for 2 weeks minimum.

Its the Australian larger, would you guys recommend getting the temp back up to 23c where it has been or is 21c ok?

And as I'm a rookie I'm unable to tell you what fermentables I used, ha ha, I used the yeast that came with the malt and hopps extract, and a DMC coopers enhancer 1 with and extra 250g of DMC

Cheers guys, So ill give it a stir and leave it at 21c, ill check the hydrometer readings in a few days

I've done the Australian kit twice with muntons 1kg beer enhancer and both finished at 1.010. Using only dextrose would have it finish lower so I wouldn't expect it to drop to 1.006

Sone said:
I've done the Australian kit twice with muntons 1kg beer enhancer and both finished at 1.010. Using only dextrose would have it finish lower so I wouldn't expect it to drop to 1.006
Ill bare that mind, cheers buddy

Ok ok, so here's my concern,!,!, iv just took another reading making sure I De-gas my sample well as I thought maybe iv not De-gassed my sample well and its come out at 1.015 and 2 days ago it was 1.016. I'm worried something is wrong with my brew can someone set my mind at ease?? Will my FG be lower come the end of its 2 weeks in primary or has something gone wrong :( I'm a rookie so I'm sure a lot of you fine my worries quite amusing. Cheers

Back