Hydrometers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CD

Retired Brewer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMG_1694.JPG

These are my hydrometers. The Mickey Mouse one designed for homebrewers has a range from 9 to 110 along a 75mm stem, and the three professional ones cover the ranges shown along 120mm stems. The bulb and stem diameters of the little one are 180mm and 66mm, and of the others 400mm and an incredibly fragile 4mm.

The two on the right were amongst a heap of stuff being ditched by a disgruntled brewer who had just lost his job when Ind Coop decided to close Halls micro-brewery, which they had inexplicably installed in their enormous distribution centre in Plymouth. In one of those instances of being in the Right Place at the Right Time, I came away with them, a Maxi cooler, an electronic temperature controller similar to an Ink Bird, a quarter of a pocket of Hops (most of which I traded for malt at the local homebrew shop), and some other goodies, in exchange for a couple of bottles of spirit.

As I have explained elsewhere, I only conduct a single fermentation over a period of a week, and use no priming sugar, so knowing the gravity to one tenth of a degree, rather than plus or minus 2 degrees, is essential in timing the cooling of the FV to leave sufficient fermentables for conditioning when it goes into the PBs. I aim for a PG (present gravity) of 13 at racking, as experience has shown I will need to add hardly any CO2 from a S30 cylinder during dispense. If the yeast has caught me out and the racking gravity is 8 or less, I will be adding gas all the time.

Love it - I wonder what a good quality set like that would cost today?

Few the rough and ready brewing I do, as long as I know if it is roughly 4 percent or 5, it is currently good enough for me - but I really should get more professional about this all!

From the "Should I Just Ignore My Hydrometer Readings?" thread Ive started thinking I should buy a decent hydrometer. I have a couple of small ones Im not even sure where they came from.

Im thinking of one with maybe an etched scale.

I see the malt miller does a couple of larger ones that look a bit better than the usual cheap paper insert ones.

https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product/large-hydrometer-1000-1060/
Trouble is if you brew strong Belgium ales you would also need the 1050 - 1100 one as well.

Anyone have any recommendations?

buddsy

I don't believe you need to f@rt about with those naff hydrometer thingies. They are for a more primitive time*.

I've been doing a lot of work on Jim's forum developing my pyknometer ideas. The weighing scales are a bit pricey (£30-35), but come in useful for water salts, hops, etc. If you currently use those cheap, £10-15, "drug dealer" scales you'll need some new ones soon (those "drug dealer" scales break, get increasingly unreliable or just rust!). The work mainly revolves around a "stand-alone" mode (read SG direct from the weighing scales), but a lot more versatile than hydrometers 'cos you can switch "temperature calibration" in an instant. Here's a snip from the spreadsheet I'm creating alongside (you don't need the spreadsheet to use pyknometers in "stand-alone" mode, and the snip is from a "curiosity only" section):

Dodgy-1.JPG

And you can easily work at four decimal places. Write up coming here soon.

*Pyknometers are actually more primitive than hydrometers! But have always been held back because of the need to weigh accurately (2DP of a gram at least to be feasible). "Specific Gravity" ("Relative Density") is a scheme to make weight-based density readings more useful ... nothing to do with hydrometers: Hydrometers copied the "SG" arrangement as a scale but have no versatility about the "temperature calibration".

From the "Should I Just Ignore My Hydrometer Readings?" thread Ive started thinking I should buy a decent hydrometer. I have a couple of small ones Im not even sure where they came from.

Im thinking of one with maybe an etched scale.

I see the malt miller does a couple of larger ones that look a bit better than the usual cheap paper insert ones.

https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product/large-hydrometer-1000-1060/
Trouble is if you brew strong Belgium ales you would also need the 1050 - 1100 one as well.

Anyone have any recommendations?

buddsy

I have been using the 1000 - 1060 one from MM for a while now and wouldnt be without it. (in fact I am on my second one following an incident!).

With the 2 point scale hydrometers and the meniscus and paralax error all thrown in I invested to try and remove a bit of my human error!

It is rare I brew anything with and SG of over 1060, on the odd occasion I have, I have just reverted to the 2 point usual type. If I brewed bigger beers more regularly then I would definitely get one.

Last edited:
... Trouble is if you brew strong Belgium ales you would also need the 1050 - 1100 one as well. ...
Oh aye. That's the other advantage of a pyknometer. I've measured isopropanol (0.786g/ml) and Calcium Chloride 33% solution (1.321 SG 60°F/60°F) with the same pyknometer. To 3DP 'cos I didn't need 4DP.

But the Malt Miller hydrometers do have an advantage I can't match ... they include a "plastic case".

Back