Hyundai and KIA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Remember when they used to make cheap boxes and like Skoda back in the day were laughed at by badge snobs.

The VW GTI killer -

Last edited:
lol in 1987 (E REG) I bought a skoda when whey were '****'
then in 1992 (K REG) a seat just as as VW bought them when they were regarded as cheap but not cheerful.
in 1995 had a hyundai accent (M REG) and
also had a kia carens in 2007.

I've always been wary of the upmarket premium
My cx5 in 2012 was at the point just before they moved upmarket.

My only disappointment was our (R REG) citroen saxo - really reliable but no fun to drive and too cramped for me.

I'm onto suzukis now having also had 2 - daihatsus (amazing fun) ford mondeo M REG - super handling and an 03 Zafira - magic carpet ride.

I've found Japanese* & Korean cars the least likely to suffer problems.

*I don't count nissan or mitsubishi in this group.

*I don't count nissan or mitsubishi in this group.

I looked at the Qashqai but read way too many reviews from owners having reliability issues.

Is a used Nissan Qashqai hatchback reliable?
Unfortunately not, judging by our latest reliability survey. It finished in 24th place out of 25 cars in the family SUV class.
Reliability rating 87.0%

Few of the cars we were told about had a higher proportion of faults than the Qashqai, with 40% of them going wrong. The battery and non-engine electrical systems caused the most problems, followed by the brakes, exhaust and interior trim. Most of the stricken cars could still be driven, but more than a quarter spent a week or longer in the garage. On the bright side, four out of five of them were fixed for free and no repair bills topped £300.
Nissan as a brand finished in 27th place out of 31 manufacturers.
If you would like to see the full reliability list for small SUVs, head to the What Car? reliability survey pages for more information.

Agreed my brother in law's Micra needed a new gearbox it was less than a year old and the relationship between nissan and it's dealers has been quoted as toxic. Such a shame as the 2020 quashqai I sat in had a plush interior. The last micra was engineered for the sub continent and they were not well built they just slapped some crappy black gloss trim on it fancy colours and tried to charge silly prices for it. At least the current Micra has better engineering. But they are the shonkiest of the Japanese brands they are now in bed with mitsubishi that will go well.

My wife has got a Kia Piccanto GT Line, brilliant little car, very well specced, excellent on mpg and the 1.0 turbo engine makes it great fun to drive. The 7 year warranty is very nice to have too.

We've got a Kia Niro and we are really happy with it, it's a hybrid so is very economical and makes us feel like we're doing something for the environment, is well specced and is a good family car. It's extremely heavy though due to the battery and therefore absolutely pathetic on the motorway.

I've got a 1 litre turbo Rio it's quite nippy, interior is nice enough. It was around 2013 when Kia started revamping the styling and they've looked modern ever since

They are certainly not playing it safe in the looks department, the 2021 Tucson and Sportage.

1627836577982.png

1627836683148.png

Attachments

• 1627836502798.png
    1627836502798.png
    469.2 KB · Views: 35
well almost as bad as my old carens....
https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/kia/kia-carens-20-crdi-2007-review/
it was silvery misty green/blue. had if from new for 6 years. zero issues once the juddery clutch was sorted out under warranty. It was delivered with the fault. It looked like a bread bin but pulled like a train and 50mpg easily. it definitely was quicker to 60 than 11 secs. It's successor was more stylish but less spacious and given we no longer needed 7 seat I got a cx-5 instead.

Hyundai & KIA have come a long way in a fairly short time i am leaning towards Hyundai the i30 fastback is a nice looking car and has every toy you could possibly want. (they also make a hatchback and estate version) they also carry a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty.

1627840546972.png

1627840683363.png

1627840568939.png

Screenshot_20210801-191316_Samsung Internet.jpg

I've currently got a Skoda Kodiaq but I'm very tempted by the new Hybrid Sorrento, it's a fabulous car inside and out. If you need a big 7 seater like me I don't think there is better out there.

View attachment 51877

I've currently got a Skoda Kodiaq but I'm very tempted by the new Hybrid Sorrento, it's a fabulous car inside and out. If you need a big 7 seater like me I don't think there is better out there.

I haven't seen one of those before, a lot of motor for what i imagine is a lot less money than anything similar made by the big name manufacturers.

He certainly turned the cheap and not too good looking cars into something not a lot of folk turn their noses up at these days.

Peter Schreyer (born 1953) is a German automobile designer widely known for his design contributions to the Audi TT.[1][2][3][4] He has been the chief design officer at Kia Motors since 2006,[5] and on 28 December 2012, he was named one of three presidents of the company.[6]
In 2006, Car Design News called the Audi TT one of "the most influential automotive designs in recent time".[7]

I haven't seen one of those before, a lot of motor for what i imagine is a lot less money than anything similar made by the big name manufacturers.
It's not cheap the top spec Hybrid will cost you £50K however in the reviews I've seen the cars are fully loaded and the comparable BMW,Mercedes or Range Rover will set you back well over £100K

This is the standard kit on mid range cars i have removed 2/3 of the list which was the kind of stuff you get on the base models.
  • 8" touch screen sat nav with TMC
  • Air conditioning
  • Automatic headlights with dusk sensor
  • Autonomous emergency braking
  • Bluetooth connectivity with voice recognition
  • Cornering headlights
  • Cruise control + speed limiter
  • DAB Digital radio
  • Driver alert system
  • EBD + Brake Assist
  • Electric folding door mirrors
  • Electronic Stability Programme
  • Emergency stop signalling system
  • Forward collision warning
  • Front centre armrest with storage compartment
  • Front passenger seat height adjust
  • Height/reach adjustable steering column
  • Hill start assist control (HAC)
  • Lane departure warning system
  • Lane keep assist
  • LED brake lights
  • LED daytime running lights
  • Parking system with rear camera and guidance system
  • Rear parking sensor
  • Rear view camera
  • Smart beam
  • Steering wheel mounted audio/phone control
  • Touchscreen colour Satellite Navigation
  • Traction control
  • Tyre pressure monitor

This is the standard kit on mid range cars i have removed 2/3 of the list which was the kind of stuff you get on the base models.
  • 8" touch screen sat nav with TMC
  • Air conditioning
  • Automatic headlights with dusk sensor
  • Autonomous emergency braking
  • Bluetooth connectivity with voice recognition
  • Cornering headlights
  • Cruise control + speed limiter
  • DAB Digital radio
  • Driver alert system
  • EBD + Brake Assist
  • Electric folding door mirrors
  • Electronic Stability Programme
  • Emergency stop signalling system
  • Forward collision warning
  • Front centre armrest with storage compartment
  • Front passenger seat height adjust
  • Height/reach adjustable steering column
  • Hill start assist control (HAC)
  • Lane departure warning system
  • Lane keep assist
  • LED brake lights
  • LED daytime running lights
  • Parking system with rear camera and guidance system
  • Rear parking sensor
  • Rear view camera
  • Smart beam
  • Steering wheel mounted audio/phone control
  • Touchscreen colour Satellite Navigation
  • Traction control
  • Tyre pressure monitor
I just see a list of more stuff to go wrong 😂. I resisted electric windows and central locking for years as I just thought they would be something expensive to fix!

Reactions: jof
I'm not a big option ticker really but I had a high spec car a couple of years ago with turning headlights and really miss them now when on a country lane at night.

Rear cameras are a must with most cars these days due to the lack of rear visibility

Had a few Fords with heated screens and they're fantastic when its icy

I dont really care about most of the driver aids since I'm still able to maintain consciousness most of the time while I'm at the wheel. Really not keen on the thing that thinks you're going to crash whenever the car in front slows down to take a left turn.

My older car has nothing but ABS and hydraulic steering and I still love driving it

Last edited:
My Dad nailed his colours to the Hyundai mast about 4 years ago, having changed allegiance from Land Rover to Nissan to Hyundai. He said at the time it makes no sense to buy anything other than Hyundai because of the "all-electric" and warranty.

Last week he replaced his Santa-Fe with an Audi. 🤣

I just see a list of more stuff to go wrong 😂. I resisted electric windows and central locking for years as I just thought they would be something expensive to fix!

Hyundai, KIA and suzukl have been in the top 10 of the reliability surveys for a while and if you go on the forums you will see there isn't much to worry about unlike many other popular models.

Back