IBU correction

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craftman

Reaction score
I'm planning my next brew - Full Croi Irish Red from John Palmer's How to Brew

The recipe uses a single hop addition of 25g Phoenix (9%) at 60 mins to give 26 IBUs

I could only get Phoenix with 12.3% AA

My question is do I:
A- use less (calculated as 18.5g) to get the same IBU
B- use the same amount but later in the boil (calculated as 24mins) to get the same IBU, but possibly more hop character
C- just stick with 25g and accept it will be a bit more bitter (calculated as 35 IBU)

Thanks in advance

The recipe uses a single hop addition of 25g Phoenix (9%) at 60 mins to give 26 IBUs

My question is do I:
B- use the same amount but later in the boil (calculated as 24mins) to get the same IBU, but possibly more hop character
C- just stick with 25g and accept it will be a bit more bitter (calculated as 35 IBU)

Thanks in advance
I would go with option A. I often don't take notice of the variety of bittering hop, but of course take notice of the IBU. This is of course if you want to make a clone of the beer. If you wanted to put your own mark on the beer then option B would be best. I'm not too into overly bitter beers so C wouldn't be an option for me personally :laugh8:

Thanks, that's what I was thinking too. Suspect I just started to overthink it a bit

I would go with option A. I often don't take notice of the variety of bittering hop, but of course take notice of the IBU. This is of course if you want to make a clone of the beer. If you wanted to put your own mark on the beer then option B would be best. I'm not too into overly bitter beers so C wouldn't be an option for me personally :laugh8:
⬆️ This.

When using brewer's friend I manually add the AA value using what's on the packet of hop pellets, which is basically the same as your Method A. No idea how accurate the stated figure actually is though.

Cheers everyone. Going to go for option A this time, if I make it againmight go for option B - just to compare

My question is do I:

Thanks in advance
25 grams at 9% alpha = 25 x 9 / 12.3 at 12.3% alpha = 18.3 grams
You need 18.3 grams. If you use 25 grams of the higher "strength" hops, your going to get 35 ibus

25 grams at 9% alpha = 25 x 9 / 12.3 at 12.3% alpha = 18.3 grams
You need 18.3 grams. If you use 25 grams of the higher "strength" hops, your going to get 35 ibus
Cool - suspect I rounded up slightly

Latest posts

Back