IDDs (Improvised Degassing Devices)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samarith

Regular.
Reaction score
I was just over on another forum and Wurzel had posted a link to degassing methods and mentioned he used a vacuum method. This got me thinking and with a little tinkering I've created my own IDDs (Improvised Degassing Devices) from two regular drilled bungs, a spare piece of tubing and a Barcraft Wine Preserver kit.

It only took 5 mins to make a pair of these and they make degassing a wine sooo much easier. Since I got the Barcraft stuff from a car boot sale for £1, the pair of them cost me about £2.50. Just thought I'd share here.

Homebrew004.jpg

Normally the wine preserver top goes in a wine bottle then you use the hand pump to suck all the air out to prevent oxidation.

With just fermented wine there is a lot of CO2 disolved in the wine which you can remove by stirring or shaking, its just time consuming and potentially messy.

Using a vacuum system you are removing the gas from the head space in the DJ, the CO2 in the wine will rush to fill this vacuum, leaving the wine. You just give it a few pumps wait for the bubbles to die down then do it again till no bubbles.

There are loads of ways to create the vacuum, I happened to have these parts to hand. Others have used a brake bleeder, food bag vacuum sealer or even a regular vacuum sealer. Loads of videos on Youtube.

Great idea - I have one of these vacuvin things that is totally redundant as I cannot remember the last time a bottle of wine was not drunk in one sitting. I am going to knock one of these up. I guess it would do a 1 gall DJ fine but do you think it would have enough suction to degas a 5gall carboy?

I use one for degassing Gravity samples to check fermentation progress . . . 250ml in a clean wine bottle. . . degass with a vacu vin and gentle shaking . . . pour into trial jar . . drink . . . sorted.

Aleman said:
I use one for degassing Gravity samples to check fermentation progress . . . 250ml in a clean wine bottle. . . degass with a vacu vin and gentle shaking . . . pour into trial jar . . drink . . . sorted.

Maybe it's me, but it looks as if you're forgetting one of the most important stages in that process. Unless you've crossed over to the etherreal and you're a human hydrometer.

jamesb said:
Aleman said:

Maybe it's me, but it looks as if you're forgetting one of the most important stages in that process. Unless you've crossed over to the etherreal and you're a human hydrometer.

For a mere mortal perhaps but Aleman can tell the SG just by the mouth feel of the wine.

Samarith said:
jamesb said:
For a mere mortal perhaps but Aleman can tell the SG just by the mouth feel of the wine.

It's not beyond the realms of reality.

In one of the pubs I go to, the landlord is astounded how I can tell the strength of a beer just by it's taste, normally spot on the specified FG. Not possible on all beers though, especially the stronger barley wines.

If you drill out the hole in the rubber bung you can squash the vacuum stopper into it and don't need the plastic pipe. These stoppers are pretty cheap on ebay too. Not sure how big the drill bit needs to be and it is a bit of a beggar to do but works well.

ive never ''really'' de-gassed a juice wine.... :wha:

just racked and transfered it a bit shaking it around a bit......the wine always tastes good ..am i missing something.....?

cool idea though.... :clap:

Back