Ideas for Lager malt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Not brewed in 18 months, but I’m looking for a bit of advice for using up a sack of Baird's Lager malt acquired from a local brewery.

I have brewed 10L batches with a 2kg ish grain bill, so this 25kg will last me a while!

Never used lager malt and thinking if I used it on its own in a SMASH type pale ale it could be very thin?

Cheers
Jamie

It'd be good drunk young I reckon (smash)

Use in any recipe that calls for pilsener malt. Or use in a porter or stout where any base malt will do.

No expert but I've brewed pales with lager malt and some crystal or carapils,torrified wheat,maize, oats or whatever thrown in and they've been all fine!

I asked the maltmiller.co.uk for a UK based US 2-Row malt equivalent that appears as the base malt for so many recipes from the US. Rather than suggesting Maris Otter he suggested a lager malt. So I think you can use your malt for anything (at least) that lists US 2-Row as the base, I have a double IPA in the bottle that used it. I’m sure it will be fine, enjoy

Back