I'm growing a hop plant!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_1984

Reaction score
Until I can produce my own malted grain, spraymalt & semi-decent yeast, I'll be feeding from the hand of my suppliers. HOWEVER after recently faffing around with a long-winded eBay dispute, I finally got my hands on a hop plant (Note: Avoid any supplier who claims to be A+)

I bought my hop plant from Deacon Nursery on the Isle of Wight and it was here within the week.
I thought i'd combine the best of both worlds and go for a dual purpose hop, hence I bought their Northdown hop.
I know right now it probably isn't the best time and that it'll take time but it's another step to getting self-sufficient. It also means i will eventually be able to say: "Yeah, I grew that hop!"

Day 1 - Planted hop in garden
http://www.flickr.com/photos/79088431@N07/7705929336/in/photostream

(Feel free to offer tips/cautionary tales of hop related tomfoolery)

cutnrun said:
just one thing.. you know how big they grow?

A lot bigger than this! (Photo taken early June, there are two hop plants visible here. To the left a Fuggle and to the right an Admiral)

P1120198.jpg

I'm lightly watering it early morn & at night - how long before any noticeable growth occurs?
Anything else I can do for it?

Chris_1984 said:
I'm lightly watering it early morn & at night - how long before any noticeable growth occurs?

Next April or May to be honest.

I have a Challenger and a WGV that I've just harvested from.

It will die back soon and that's it until next Spring I'm afraid.

Do they need 100% sunlight? I only ask as I've only got places that will get morning sun, or evening sun, but not both.

I'm also thinking of planting one and trailing it along some 20' long railings - is this possible, or do they have to grow vertically for best results?

Mine are not in sun all the time and have grown ok for the first year I think (not sure as it's the first time I've grown hops)

I've also got mine growing horizontally.

Anyone else help further?

If they do better vertically I may move mine in the spring.

Terry.

Latest posts

Back