In Line Filtration

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

photek1000

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used something similar to this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00420OIT8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 when transferring from the kettle to the fermenter?

I did two brews yesterday and there was quite a bit of trub in my sample jar and I'll assume also in my FVs.

My Mash Tun and my Boiler both use only bazooka filters so not the greatest at stopping a lot of smaller debris getting through and thought this might be a good extra for filtering pre FV.

But I would be worried a little that it would get clogged itself and reduce the flow rate to a trickle.

I'm not massively worried about the trub in my FVs as it'll mostly drop out, but there is always that time it does impart some sort of off flavour.

Last edited by a moderator:
That filter is to filter beer thats already fairly clear after fermentation and would need CO2 pressure to push the beer through it (or a good pump). Its no good to filter beer before fermentation. Apologies if thats not what you are thinking.

I've only done a few brews know my new ag kit but found when transferring to fv from kettle if I just cracked the tap so the flow is minimum the trub will settle against the bazooka filter. I then gradually open the tap to increase flow. The build up of trub holds back most but doesn't block the filter. You will get a little loss of volume to fv because of this but if you tilt the kettle gently it's not much.

Cheers for the replies, hmm I thought it would gravity feed would be enough, but probably not.

I do as described a slow open of the tap to a minimal level to help set the grain bed post mash during the vorlauf stage and that helps some, but yesterday I did seem to have more trub at the end than normal, it was noticeable as I was using whole leaf hops and not pellets.

I'm only a few AG brews in and several months out of practice so back to rethinking a few things in my methods, but I may also go to using the old BIAB bag for my next mash to add a layer of physical filtration.

You have described 2 different parts of the process regarding removing the bits you don't want....
The mashing and vorlauf should remove any larger particles and husks.
The material in the kettle is the break material from chilling which I think are proteins caused to clump together from the Irish moss addition. Tipping this into the fv won't harm.

Yes they are definitely small particles and not great big chunks of malt, and i am pretty sure it will all drop out of suspension pretty quickly.

Latest posts

Back