In the brown.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taff

Reaction score
I ws recently gifted two brown demijohns. The disadvantage of these is obvious, but are there any advantages?

Delicately coloured wines don't lose their colour apparently. Noticed this when I re-read Berry's recipe for elderberry wine in "First Steps".
I haven't been up long and still waiting for the coffee to be ready, but the disadvantage isn't immediately obvious to me.

I used to have two brown DJ's which i used to ferment the wine in then i racked to clear ones for clearing, i eventually replaced them with clear ones as they are difficult to clean (you cannot see if they are 100% clean) and i keep my wine in the cupboard so don't need coloured DJ's.

Delicately coloured wines don't lose their colour apparently. Noticed this when I re-read Berry's recipe for elderberry wine in "First Steps".
I haven't been up long and still waiting for the coffee to be ready, but the disadvantage isn't immediately obvious to me.

Not being able to see what's occurring in the DJ is the main disadvantage, esp, as CT says, when cleaning.

Latest posts

Back