Infections...how long to take hold

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Did a brew over the weekend. So far in may brief homebrew career I've been super meticulous regarding cleanliness...don't fear the foam and all that, and so far not had any issues with infections. However this weekend I had a bit of a brainfart moment and after transferring into fermenter and before pitching yeast I realise I hadn't taken an OG reading, so reached out for a pipette in my little pipette pot and sucked up a sample to take a reading. I then realised I had not sanitised the pipette and was in a box with several pipettes.

I only sucked up wort...I didn't squeeze the pipette into the wort so if contaminated it would have been external to the pipette tip rather than anything inside the pipette, but nearly had a sleepless night over it last night worrying about infection. If I've introduced any nasties, how long would it normally take to infect the beer? How long can I start to relax and realise I've dodged a bullet and put it down to experience?... or alternatively establish the been is infected and just ditch it?

Thanks.

I agree with Clint - you’ll probably be fine 🤞. We go above and beyond in our sanitisation regimes and the chances of such a small thing causing an issue is minuscule. I’ve told this story before, but I had to stick my whole arm in a kettle of wort already cooled to pitching temp to fit a forgotten hop filter a couple of brews ago. I did wash my arm and smother in Starsan first, but still.., Turned out fine.

Saying all that, it’s my understanding that wort is a pretty tasty environment for bacteria, so I think you’d expect to see an issue during primary fermentation stage in the first few days. If you take a sample after 2-3 days and it tastes like beer (or green beer at least), everything will likely be ok.

As other said, don't worry: the infection's I've had in the past take months to establish, so if you drink your beer quick then no need to worry. And if you do get an infection, you'll start to notice it in the taste and can drink the batch quicker: rarely do you need to throw the whole batch.

As other said, don't worry: the infection's I've had in the past take months to establish, so if you drink your beer quick then no need to worry. And if you do get an infection, you'll start to notice it in the taste and can drink the batch quicker: rarely do you need to throw the whole batch.
...his other head disagrees and the third leg keeps getting in the way now.

Never thought about using the tap! but with it being OG I was using a refractometer so just normally use a pipette as you only need a drop or two.

I use a hydrometer so it’s easy to just run a bit off from the tap. I might get a refractometer one day but for now, I’m happy with my hydrometer. I normally have a jug with sanitiser in where I will put thermometers and other long bits. I grab the wrong one frequently when I use the other FV and use it to take out some wort to take the reading. Taps are waaaaaay better haha

Yes my eyes are old and tired and I struggle to read the hydrometer scale so the refractometer works better for me. I use the hydrometer once I'm done just to confirm the numbers, but find it too much of a faff to use alot and too much of a waste of beer!!

Yes my eyes are old and tired and I struggle to read the hydrometer scale so the refractometer works better for me. I use the hydrometer once I'm done just to confirm the numbers, but find it too much of a faff to use alot and too much of a waste of beer!!
I’m really just too lazy to buy one 😂

My refractometer is one of the best bits of kit I have. An approximate reading in seconds.

Refractometer is pretty useful, though my wife does a pirate "AArrrrrh" impression every time I use it. At least it amuses her!

Anyone use them post fermentation along with the adjustment calculators to adjust for alcohol content? I've never done a back to back to with a hydrometer to confirm accuracy but would be good to use refractometer for FG readings too.

Latest posts

Back