Initial fermentation 'scum' line

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redron

Regular.
Reaction score
As title....
After the first rush of fermentation there is always a scum line after the initial fizz has receded.
Would I be right in thinking this scum line is holding a fair bit of the yeast and I am tempted to stir it back in, plus, it's always a bitch to clean off !
Your thoughts ?

Yes it will contain a lot of yeast but also a load of other airboune nasties feeding of the yeast.

Personally I transfere it to a secondary FV to get it off anything thats not clean.

As everything dies down usually within the first week I transfer to another FV so I am able to clean first FV before the crubby stuff clings to surface and is hard to clean

Ok, seems like good advice. Though to be honest when I brewed years ago I never had a problem leaving it in the original FV untill it was ready to be barreled .
If I do transfer should I do from the taps rather than siphon, that way it gets re oxygenated, and do I add all the crud from the bottom ?

I am back brewing after 25 years and surprised how much things have come on, especially with the kits and how you can 'add' stuff....
:cheers:

I think additional oxidisation at this point would be a bad thing and I doubt much can go wrong with leaving it on the trub for another week or two. I think you only start to get off flavours if the beer has been on the trub for over a month. I’ve also read somewhere that the trub has something in it which can remove some of the nasties that some imperfectly brewed beers can harbour, although I can’t remember what or how.

My penny’s worth; I’d leave it where it is as the extra (small) risk of infection / oxidisation outweighs any desire for an easier to clean FV.

My penny's worth; I'd leave it where it is as the extra (small) risk of infection / oxidisation outweighs any desire for an easier to clean FV.

Take that advice at your peril many of us have lost plenty of brews to dirty FV's just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean it won't.

After reading round the subject and learning about trub and racking, I am becoming a little wiser...
So when should I be looking to rack, if that's how I decide to proceed, this first brew has been on for five days now and is still fermenting nicely (standard 1.5k tin, Finlandia bitter). I don't want to stop the process, which I've read could happen if you rack too early. Also is it a good idea to leave the primary fermentation for longer than the four to seven days it says on the instructions ?
Thanks

I'm in the leave it alone camp, I have a beer that's been in the primary since June last year and it has not been infected by the 'scum line'. It's a sour beer which I sampled last month and it's clean with the exception of the intended souring bugs.

The only time I transfer to another FV is for cold conditioning, fining, bottling or it has overflowed during fermentation.

Take that advice at your peril many of us have lost plenty of brews to dirty FV's just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean it won't.

Don't all beers that ferment vigorously leave a ring around the FV; should I be racking to a seperate vessel every time? I thought it was stuff that would otherwise just be floating on the beer and hence is fine.

Don't all beers that ferment vigorously leave a ring around the FV; should I be racking to a seperate vessel every time? I thought it was stuff that would otherwise just be floating on the beer and hence is fine.

Yes all beers will do, but it is a source of food for microbes and no matter how sterile you FV is and how particular you are microbes will get in and can infect it.

Its just good practice IMHO

Good to know. I assume you don't bother if there isn't a noticeable krausen ring? This is the exception rather than the rule, right?

Yes all beers will do, but it is a source of food for microbes and no matter how sterile you FV is and how particular you are microbes will get in and can infect it.

Its just good practice IMHO

Spot on. Transferring to secondary is best practice. The Co2 from the fermentation to some degree will help to lessen any chance of infection but one fermentation has slowed/ceased then you can start to get problems from the microbes greys talks of.

Ok, racked my brew last night. This is the first time I have transferred to another FV for secondary. I have to say, it feels better looking at a clean vessel with my precious brew in it !
I was concerned mucking about with it may stall the fermentation process, but happily it is going nicely this morning. After more research, I now discover that sucking on the siphon can transfer bacteria from the mouth !
It's a pleasurable learning process...
I think from now, I will consider transferring as 'best practice'.

Thank you for the advice.

I'm in the leave it alone camp, I have a beer that's been in the primary since June last year and it has not been infected by the 'scum line'. It's a sour beer which I sampled last month and it's clean with the exception of the intended souring bugs.

The only time I transfer to another FV is for cold conditioning, fining, bottling or it has overflowed during fermentation.

When you say sour beer do you mean those Belgian sour ones? I've always wanted to make one of those.

Bit late now but, in my opinion, racking to secondary is unnecessary. Assuming your FV was clean to start with and you haven't tinkered there'll be nothing to infect the ring of 'scum' that the krauesen leaves behind.

Leave it alone and it'll be fine. Contrary to receiced wisdom it'll clear faster too.

Bit late now but, in my opinion, racking to secondary is unnecessary. Assuming your FV was clean to start with and you haven't tinkered there'll be nothing to infect the ring of 'scum' that the krauesen leaves behind.

Leave it alone and it'll be fine.

I used to say that... until I got an infection.

But how do you know that the infection had to do with the scum ring and not any of the other 20 possibilities?

Genuine question, not being a smart ****.

Best brew I've made to date (a Coopers Pilsner kit with added Saaz) was left in the FV for 4 whole weeks. Clear when I bottled it and devoid of that usual Coopers 'yeasty' taste.

I often wonder how people brewed beer many, many moons ago without Star San and forums esposuing 'best practice'....

Latest posts

Back