Interesting observation on mash temperature monitoring

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewshed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
For many years I have checked my mash temperature with a glass thermometer and using this method have consistently got a brewhouse efficiency of about 68 -70% (usually nearer 68). So not great but quite acceptable. A few weeks ago I dropped and broke the thermometer and so replaced it with a digital temperature probe. Using the same temperature for mashing as before all my brews since have had an efficiency above 72%. I am not sure if the thermometer or probe are inaccurate but am pleasantly surprised that a small potential difference in temperature can have such a significant effect on efficiency.

What do you mash in? I use a picnic cooler and have dialled my strike water temp to be near enough spot on,. But there will always be anomalies in such container. I gave up chasing the thermometer round the mash years ago.

I mash in an insulated water cooler (very similar to the picnic cooler). I have added some silver insulation to the outside and the temp only drops by about 1.5 degrees over an hour. I still check the temp after madhing in because I brew in my outside shed and the grain temperature varies with air temp.

Latest posts

Back