IPA go suck it

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Throw in a Guinness phase and that’s almost exactly my boozing journey too
I'm the opposite. Started drinking Robinson Bitter, Boddingtons, Thwaites etc, but due to the skilled accountants making "proper" beer bland, and also CAMRAs support of lazy landlords doing cask badly, I switched to the more flavoursome, premium end of the lager market. It wasn't until we got a good brewery in town (Redwillow) that did great cask and craft beer, that I got into good beer and homebrewing. There was a Guinness phase in there, whenever in a pub that had **** lager and bitter. So most of the noughties.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

******** to the lot of it. This just makes me want to brew a Double NEIPA Milkshake with 16kg of hops in the boil then a further 40kg in the FV to dry hop followed by 16 ounces of vodka soaked Lychees.

But seriously just because you're mortal and don't like summit doesn't make other brews/brewers ***** or not as skilled. Let people be and experiment how they like or we'd all just be drinking warm old man ales because it's not on trend and what's right.

Boring boring patter, feel like I just read a Camra reviewer

Throw in a Guinness phase and that’s almost exactly my boozing journey too

No Guinness "phase" as such. It took me a long time to like Guinness but it's now my go-to if there's nothing else on offer because at least you can get it everywhere. Saves me having to drink Carling.

I'm the opposite. Started drinking Robinson Bitter, Boddingtons, Thwaites etc, but due to the skilled accountants making "proper" beer bland, and also CAMRAs support of lazy landlords doing cask badly, I switched to the more flavoursome, premium end of the lager market. It wasn't until we got a good brewery in town (Redwillow) that did great cask and craft beer, that I got into good beer and homebrewing. There was a Guinness phase in there, whenever in a pub that had **** lager and bitter. So most of the noughties.

I didn’t discover cract beer until my mid 20s when me and my wife took a road trip up the west coast of the US. Three weeks of Sierra Nevada and I was hooked. My biggest regret though is we stayed three days in the Russian River valley and only went to wineries, I didn’t even know the brewery existed.

Obviously we all have a lot to learn from the OP, I look forward to hearing more from him :D

Seriously though, in my opinion a good IPA is actually a rather difficult thing to make. If only it were as simple as "throwing a bag of hops in".

Obviously we all have a lot to learn from the OP, I look forward to hearing more from him :D

Seriously though, in my opinion a good IPA is actually a rather difficult thing to make. If only it were as simple as "throwing a bag of hops in".

"Teaching is not difficult, just stand there and tell the kids what they need to know." Same sort of argument :laugh8:

I suppose calling craft beer 'hoppy fizzy pop' was a little provocative, and we should all enjoy the styles we like best, there is more that unites us than divides us, etc, etc.

I guess as well as being unexcited by many craft offerings, I am also a little fed up of some of its advocates turning up at the Bordeaux Club complaining that they don't champion Champagne, but that's a different argument acheers.

There are a lot of wilting flowers in here. I read the original thread like the OP was being funny, maybe some have read it like a rant. They won anyway.

There are a lot of wilting flowers in here. I read the original thread like the OP was being funny, maybe some have read it like a rant. They won anyway.

I can only assume that most of the replies have come from those that have never had a few too many beers and spewed forth a load of diatribe...

B..b..b..but the OP admitted it was a rant in their follow up post. *facepalm*

"I think why I was so annoyed to actually put my ramblings on the Internet was that I found them undrinkable and committed sacrilege by poring beer down the sink."

Amusing that it's always the wilting flowers, snowflakes etc get admonished for trying to debate anything.

Last edited:
I just ordered my first extract kit the dead ringer IPA. I've been a Mead and cider Brewer and getting tired of drinking the stuff and find myself still buying my favorite beer Alpha Centauri which has an IBU of 100. I think if I can match something close I will be happy. Drinking IPA 4 years I have come across good and bad. I enjoy the blues festivals mixed with microbreweries and you can sure get your pallet full of just about anything imaginable and I find that most of them are drinkable. I guess beer brewing for me it's more about if I can make a drinkable beer less than $10 a six pack then I think I'm good that is a goal

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

I sort of agree with the op, I can't stand IPA beers and will always buy a golden ale or traditional bitter where possible.
I have tasted the odd IPA that was acceptable, but I refuse to part with good money in the hope of getting one when on pub crawls.

So school me, whats the difference between an "IPA" and a golden ale with a bucket of hops chucked in?

So school me, whats the difference between an "IPA" and a golden ale with a bucket of hops chucked in?

The IPA will cost more, especially so if preceded by the word 'craft'. And there'll be some spurious tale on the bottle about it being inspired by the wonderful condition achieved by the gentle rolling motion provided by long journey across,er, the Indian Ocean. None of which your bottle will have been treated to.

Back