Is 16g co2 enough

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atco_91

Reaction score
So I've got myself a 10 litre mini keg from Darkfarm. I understand that the 16g co2 cartridge may not be enough to carbonate the whole 10L but can I still achieve force carbonation if I change the cartridge as and when they empty (I assume 2 if 1 is enough for 5l) and then reduce the pressure and pour away?

First time with force carbonation so probably over thinking it.

I plan on buying the soda stream attachment when I buy the second keg in a month or so.

Yes, this will work. I would think it will take more than 2 to carbonate 10L tho, and probably another 3 to serve it. I have a couple of 5L mini kegs that I can take away with me and use the 16g bulbs to dispense. I normally go through about 1.5 bulbs to pour 5L, I carbonate the beer in corny kegs tho

Excellent cheers for that. What psi to you use to force carbonate? Lots of theories out there so just interested 😁

Ye, you will get a lot of opinions on this... I use set and forget method - carbonate at about 12 psi (depends on temp and style of beer) for at least 2 weeks and keep it at this pressure for serving. The only time I adjust the pressure is if carbonation isnt right. I have 10 corny kegs and 2 mini kegs so not usually in any hurry to get them carbonated and find the flavour improves a lot given a few weeks - dark beers get over 6 months.

My suggestion is just try the different methods and see what works for you. I did try the burst carbonating - set at 40psi and roll the keg around and also setting it at 40psi for 24 hrs then dropping pressure to 12 psi for serving but the carbonation was always off and the beer improved over a few weeks so thought it was a waste to drink it too early.

Whatever you will find it a huge improvement over bottles, good luck

Ye, you will get a lot of opinions on this... I use set and forget method - carbonate at about 12 psi (depends on temp and style of beer) for at least 2 weeks and keep it at this pressure for serving. The only time I adjust the pressure is if carbonation isnt right. I have 10 corny kegs and 2 mini kegs so not usually in any hurry to get them carbonated and find the flavour improves a lot given a few weeks - dark beers get over 6 months.

My suggestion is just try the different methods and see what works for you. I did try the burst carbonating - set at 40psi and roll the keg around and also setting it at 40psi for 24 hrs then dropping pressure to 12 psi for serving but the carbonation was always off and the beer improved over a few weeks so thought it was a waste to drink it too early.

Whatever you will find it a huge improvement over bottles, good luck

Excellent thanks!
Patience is key.

If I set 12 psi, will I notice this just return to 0 once the cartridge is empty, then just switch it and return the pressure?

Last question, sorry.

If I set 12 psi, will I notice this just return to 0 once the cartridge is empty, then just switch it and return the pressure?
Yes, the pressure might not drop off to 0 as there should still be a little pressure in the keg, you will find that you turn the regulator all the way on and pressure is just a few psi. Keep it in the fridge, or somewhere cold while carbonating. I usually do give it a blast of pressure at the beginning to check for leaks.

You'll loose a lot of money by going from cartridges trough soda stream than full size bottle. Gas suppliers has small bottles as well, do your own research what's available nearby.

I found the 16g cartridges very inconvenient when trying to force carbonate. They work but you'll burn through the cartridges. I ended up 'upgrading' to a Sodastream bottle, and have since upgraded to a full 6.35kg cylinder. I still have the cartridge regulator just in case I want it to take to a party or something but to be fair a Sodastream bottle is no less convenient.

Just to emphasise what Hoppyscotty said above.

I have some Dark Farm 5l kegs. I do not use the co2 bulbs to force carb as it would use far, far too many and be too expensive.

I prime with sugar as I would to bottle and leave for a couple of weeks. I then use the bulbs to dispense and can just about manage to empty a 5l keg using 1 bulb.

I have been wondering whether to buy a 10l keg but would only buy one with the soda stream adaptor or use a gas bottle with it.

So I think I got ahead of myself and skipped a step (cold crashing!) Before I turned the co2 valve on.

It tastes ok but I sense there are flavours that shouldn't be there there is also a residue left on the glass which looks milky, hopefully the photo shows it. Is this because I didn't cool it first perhaps?

Attachments

• 20210828_023842.jpg
    20210828_023842.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 41

Latest posts

Back