Is it normal?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disco_monkey79

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a bit new to this, so apologies if this is a silly question.

I've got 2 DJs of CJJ Berry's medium apple wine on the go. We used an electric juicer to extract as much as possible from the apples. As a result, there's quite a lot of sediment.

They're both bubbling away merrily. The sediment starts to settle down and compact, but periodically, it goes beserk and approx. 50% of it charges up to the top of the DJ, and it then gradually settles down again.

Is this normal? I'm guessing it's CO2 building up within the lees (if I've used the right term?), which gets to a point where it has to erupt, causing the upward surge?

The only other thing I've brewed at this point was a ginger wine which had very little sediment, so didn;t show this activity.

Many thanks.

Perfectly normal, that's the lava lamp effect typically associated with WOW. It will settle down after a few days.

Cheers! It's quite fun to watch. Have been spending a lot of time stood in the kitchen, gawping at DJs...

Latest posts

Back