Is it really going to be that strong....???

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron

Reaction score
Currently have Cooper's Euro Lager in the FV.

Made it with 500g of Cooper's Light Malt and 500g of Cooper's Brew Enhancer #1.

The OG was 1052 (does this sound right or a bit high?).

I've worked out based on a target FG of 1010 (using the formula in the little booklet that came in the kit) that the final alcohol content will be 6.1%. This sounds really strong. Is this right, have I worked something out wrong or am I really brewing a bit of a nipple twister?

Using the forum calculator, from 1052 to 1010 you'll have an ABV of 5.6. I've just started a Coopers Euro Lager using ikg of sugar, the OG was 1050, so it's pretty close to mine

I was wondering if I'd measured the OG wrong so the fact your's is so similar means I'm not so worried.

I was going by the formula in the Coopers kit which adds 0.5% for the priming sugars to get to 6.1% so again, I must be right.

This was a lager for the Mrs as she's not a big fan of ale. I'll tell her it's about 4% otherwise she'll feel the need to 'be careful'.... :party:

Aaron said:
I'll tell her it's about 4% otherwise she'll feel the need to 'be careful'.... :party:

Ha ha :D She will need to be careful. I've done a few coopers lager now, and I can't drink too much of it :drunk:

It only takes a point or two of final gravity to make the difference. I reakon with the amount of malt you've added to sugar, you won't be getting a very dry brew, so I'd say you're looking at 1.012 at least...

Don't forget the temp correction.

What was the temp when the SG was measured?

K

I adjusted for temp when it took the OG. It's now been in the FV for 11 days. I just tested it again and its sitting at about 1014/5 which is more or less where it was on Monday (I forgot to test it Tue/Wed).

I'll test it again tomorrow and Saturday but will probably just rack it off to secondary on Saturday when I have more time.

I was hoping it would go a little lower than that but we'll see over the next few days.

Shearclass... A little less. I did 22 litres as I was using bottled water and that was all I had. I figured roughly 4.5% wouldn't make much difference.

shearclass said:
I'm guessing you did less than 23 litres to get such a hig OG?
Forgot to mention, I make mine up to 20 litres. 6 less bottles to fill and it does give it a little more flavour

andyh said:
Aaron said:
I'll tell her it's about 4% otherwise she'll feel the need to 'be careful'.... :party:

Ha ha :D She will need to be careful. I've done a few coopers lager now, and I can't drink too much of it :drunk:
Andyh, i was thinking of doing a lager & i like the Coopers stout so would you recommend this brew? Also, is it best to use malt extract, brew enhancer, ordinary sugar etc.? Any other tips or advice would be usefull too cheers.

Can't really comment as I'm a newbie to beer brewing and the Coopers Aussie lager is the only one I've done. Although I've done a few of them now.
I've only done the kit as instructed with standard sugar.

BUT

it's really really nice, I can't drink too much though as it blows my socks off :cheers: :drunk: :rofl: :whistle:

Sorry I can't be anymore help.

Cheers andy thats fine. Just one more question, did you put your finished lager into a barrel or bottles?

I bottle mine, I chose to go this way as I thought it's just as easy to throw a few bottles in the fridge for a cold one rather than kegging. Everyone to their own though. I use Coopers pet bottles and no probs so far

I chose the Coopers lager cause of good reviews and I have not been dissapointed.

The only thing I do different now to when I started is I batch prime rather than putting sugar in each bottle. (easier)

Cheers :drink:

Andy.

Latest posts

Back