Is this pot suitable?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well my ag boiler isnt quite twice the volume of my largest target brew out of it so \yes the 8.5l will probably brew you many 1 gallon batches very well.

thing is i bet u a pint you start thinking in terms of 2 3 or more gallons pretty quickly ;)

As a 1st bit of ag kit to smuggle into the house it looks very innocent ;)

I would try to get as big a pot as you can for your hob and you should be able to fit a 15 liter maybe even a 20 liter pot on it , if you brew 100 liters of beer or just 3 liters it will still take around the same amount of time (apart from heating water up and boiling wort which will take longer with 100l even if big burners etc) from 5 to 7 hrs . So by my thinking you may as well go as big as you can .

I agree with pittsy. I use a 70l pot on the hob to make 40l at a time.

While that might be a little bit big for a small flat, a 36l isn't that much bigger than an FV so you could easily do 23l BIAB brews on the stovetop (assuming it's powerful enough of course - mines a 7.5kW gas beast...)

Thanks for the feedback guys.

To be honest I'm wanting to for more of a smaller batch so I can experiment and not 'waste' as much ingredients.
Plus it will be easier for me to store smaller equipment in my apartment

OK so I went ahead and purchased these fine items as a starter to my AG (BIAB) adventures:

15lt stainless steel pot ( eBay link ) @ £13.49
Non-Contact IR-Infrared Digital Thermometer ( Amazon link ) @ £12.50

I will be adding bits and pieces as time goes by :)
Any feedback on these items? Suitable or no?

I managed to obtain 4 small 1gallon DJs so this will suit nicely :)

For a BIAB bag the easiest thing to get is a sheet of nylon curtain. You just lash a length of nylon cord around it to hoist the grain out. It's usefull to have a hook to hold it suspended. You could just screw a hook into a door lintel.
Just make sure you've rehung the nylons before SWMBO gets home :lol:
I use a second sheet over the FV as a hop filter.

Back